Best place to buy Vitamin C tablets and Trichlor pucks?!

May 16, 2018
Rhode island
I have some dark staining going on with my almost 4 year pool (which we've never had) so trying to buy these products to figure out (or rule out) what it is. Thanks in advance!!! Also any possible clues to figure out what this is would awesome!!

Attachments

• IMG_5469.jpg
    IMG_5469.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 140
Ugh. Too nice of a pool for any staining. Well, try the basics:
- Chlorine tab changes = organic stains. Just about any pool store or pool section of the hardware store; some may have small quantities. Or ask if they have broke ones that are getting tossed out. :)
- Vitamin C tab changes = iron; any drug store; regular tablets
- Dry acid in a sock changes = copper; hopefully not needed, but probably the pool store.

When you apply those products, move the tablet or sock around every few seconds. Don't just let it sit in one spot for too long for care of the liner. Let us know how it goes.

Thank you!! It's definitely depressing to look out and see!! We've never had this ☹️ Hopefully something can fix it. The problem is figuring out exactly what it is. I know at the opening after adding a lot of shock our copper level was over 3 and we had brownish stairs too. ? The stairs are now good but not the pool.

I know at the opening after adding a lot of shock our copper level was over 3 and we had brownish stairs too.
Do you know where the copper came from? My guess would be improper algaecides and/or a corroding heater core. It would eliminate be good to know what the source was to eliminate that now.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way .... please don't forget to update your signature with all of your pool equipment and stuff. See mine below as an example if it helps.

I have my new test kit (TF 100) coming early next week. Today I tried both the chlorine tablet and Vitamin C. chlorine took the stains right off;vitamin c did nothing. I tried in a few locations (same tablet) and the stain was lifted. What are my next steps? Well, after I get my test kit and start testing?

I have my new test kit (TF 100) coming early next week. Today I tried both the chlorine tablet and Vitamin C. chlorine took the stains right off;vitamin c did nothing. I tried in a few locations (same tablet) and the stain was lifted. What are my next steps? Well, after I get my test kit and start testing?

Raise your FC to 15-20% of CYA and maintain. The stains should fade.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm still a little confused on the chlorine tobuy. I know liquid chlorine which I've always used (purchased from pool store). However, I can buy household bleach?! Is shock & liquid chlorine the same?

Chlorine and liquid chlorine and household bleach are all the same chemical, usually just different strengths. Buy based on price, freshness and convenience.

Maddie :flower:

Got my TF-100 kit last night and just did my morning test at 9:00 am:

FC -1.5
CC - 0 -color never changed -can this be correct?
Alkakinity - 150
CYA -40

what do I gobftom here to get the stains out?

Thanks!

No pH test done??

Yes, if the color on the CC test doesn't change, and remains clear, that is a very good thing!

Get some bleach in that pool pronto- for a CYA of 40 you need to bring it up to between 5-7, with a bare minimum of 3. Then when you lose some FC to the daily sun gods, you'll still be above that minimum of 3.

No pH test done??

Yes, if the color on the CC test doesn't change, and remains clear, that is a very good thing!

Get some bleach in that pool pronto- for a CYA of 40 you need to bring it up to between 5-7, with a bare minimum of 3. Then when you lose some FC to the daily sun gods, you'll still be above that minimum of 3.

Oops missed putting the PH it's 7.8 so on the high side. What can I do to bring this down? Also is my CYA too low?

Need to go get some bleach now ��

No, for Rhode Island I'd venture to say your CYA is fine.

Your pH is okay too, its within the normal limits (7.2-7.8) but your high TA will prompt it to raise or stay high. Get some muriatic acid and follow these instructions- Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
Just remember that TA & pH play off each other. If one is high or low, it tends to drag the other along with it.

Bleach! Pronto! :laughblue:

You can use muriatic acid (pour carefully) to lower the pH as needed. 7.8 is okay, but at the end of the scale. So if you do decide to lower it, go for a target of about 7.4-7.5. Use the PoolMath to help you with the exact amount. Your CYA is fine for now. Up north not as intense in sun and heat right now, and no salt water generator. 40 is good. As YS said, increase the FC as soon as you can. With those stains, I'd increase the FC to about 7-8 for a few days with see how they respond with continual brushing.

So 8 gallons of bleach added. I'll test later tonight then tomorrow morning to see if I need to add more (which I probably do). I forgot to ask how many gallons to pour in so I just added all I bought today. There is no sun out today (cloudy and some drizzle) however we'll have sun for the next 4 days. I also brushed the stains.

Also so I do have a salt water filter. Should I also put on the super chlorinator?

thanks again! This site is so informative!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.