My green monster

Re: My green monster

If it smells like chlorine like a public pool, that's CC. It'll go away once the water is clear and your pool won't smell like anything.

Rammy, start taking daily pics facing down at the stairs. Same spot daily. When you go back and compare the pics you'll be able to monitor the changes easily. Sometimes the pics show the improvement better than looking at the pool itself.

Post a daily pic for us too please.

Maddie :flower:

doesn't smell like a swamp anymore, I'll take public pool smell over swamp
pump runs 24/7
thanks for the tip about the pictures, will do
That's what I thought you meant ;) You won't have the public pool smell either when you're pool is completely "TFP liquid crystal" clear!!

think I will vacuum the shallow end tonight and rake the deep end. from brushing I've been able to determine that most of the heavy organic matter is now on the deep end.

Yes, the sooner you can get that cleared out, the faster you will get clear! (just to state the obvious, heehee)

Are you able to pull water from the deep end to try and get the gunk moving out?

Are you able to pull water from the deep end to try and get the gunk moving out?

Yes we have a MD in the deep end.

got lots of the muck out yesterday but I've not been so diligent in the last 12 to 15 hours. went to a late showing of Solo last night; didn't get home until 2:30am. didn't check FC this morning. just put 1 gal in and went to work. Hope I haven't messed things up

Yes we have a MD in the deep end.

got lots of the muck out yesterday but I've not been so diligent in the last 12 to 15 hours. went to a late showing of Solo last night; didn't get home until 2:30am. didn't check FC this morning. just put 1 gal in and went to work. Hope I haven't messed things up

Not in the least :) a pool is about life, not living for the pool ;) it will clear and be so enjoyable!

- - - Updated - - -

The less time between dropping FC levels, the faster it will go ;)

had a couple issues today and I thought I was in a tight spot. The impeller on my pump broke off, after I got it off I realized the threaded part had a hair line crack in it that I didn't notice when I put it together last year. luckily I had another housing assembly from a motor that got hit by lighting. got it put back together checked O-rings and other seals, running great now. Vacuumed for about an hour. the water looks more of a light green so I feel that it close.

I have another question. while vacuuming I didn't stop as soon as I saw the green color coming out of the jets, I know its not catching it all, but wouldn't it still be catching more then its shooting back out and stirring it up allowing the fc and cc do its job? or am I nuts. I would back-wash when the pressure got high

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

had a couple issues today and I thought I was in a tight spot. The impeller on my pump broke off, after I got it off I realized the threaded part had a hair line crack in it that I didn't notice when I put it together last year. luckily I had another housing assembly from a motor that got hit by lighting. got it put back together checked O-rings and other seals, running great now. Vacuumed for about an hour. the water looks more of a light green so I feel that it close.

I have another question. while vacuuming I didn't stop as soon as I saw the green color coming out of the jets, I know its not catching it all, but wouldn't it still be catching more then its shooting back out and stirring it up allowing the fc and cc do its job? or am I nuts. I would back-wash when the pressure got high

Sand can't "catch" live algae, you aren't crazy.
As long as you keep the FC at high level and keep disturbing the algae as much as possible, it will get to clear :)

Status update

FC 17
CC 2
TA 110
CYA 40
PH not tested

Been working hard the last 2 days. pool is a light mint green. very cloudy. ran navigator pro for a couple hours and it ran more then not. Only had to empty the leaf catcher twice. had so rocks in the bottom so had to clean them out of the navigator. When I brush and the water hits the far wall its doings so clean. Before a large cloud of muck would surface, not doing that now, feel like the bottom is mostly clear now. Is the cloudiness something that I have to have POP for. if it wasn't so cloudy I'm certain we could see the bottom

... Is the cloudiness something that I have to have POP for. if it wasn't so cloudy I'm certain we could see the bottom
{Pic}

Yes and no ;)

When are around to babysit, you can add Pool Filter DE to the skimmer (after dissolving in water first for best results), 1/4cup at a time until 1psi increase, then backwash when pressure reaches 25% over clean pressure (repeat as often as you like):compress:

Update:

Day 8 of SLAM

water is getting better a little each day. Color is improving. Ran the Navagator Pro lastnight, got clogged once by pine needles, couple times was by rocks. ran it for two hours baby sitting it the whole time. hit a couple spots that sent some light brownish algae through the leaf catcher. testing the water once an hour. don't have recent numbers from this morning, think is was at 13.5 and target is 16 so had a 2.5 drop of FC overnight. The leaf catcher only had a hand full of debris in it which is promising. I think most all the muck is now gone. I will run the vacuum again tonight.

I have picked up some D.E. and will give that I try since I'm going to be baby sitting the vacuum anyway. I've been getting sand in the leaf catcher so I'm sure its bad laterals. The filter has some age on it and was considering a sand change anyway.

Bad storm came in at 5 this afternoon and stayed off until 7:30. Only problem was my wife was not at home to add liquid shock so when I tested it was at 8.5. I'm sure it didn't hurt anything but would slow down the all process. While the power was out I put in liquid shock and brushed the pool to add in mixing it up. With the pool still i could see fine white particals getting stuired up. I'm assuming that's dead algae.

Current readings
FC 15
CC 1.5
PH 7.2 since FC was low I tested to see where it was at

That's the first time I've seen the CC drop, it's been running 2.5 to 2 the entire time. I hope that means what I think it means

Bad storm came in at 5 this afternoon and stayed off until 7:30. Only problem was my wife was not at home to add liquid shock so when I tested it was at 8.5. I'm sure it didn't hurt anything but would slow down the all process. While the power was out I put in liquid shock and brushed the pool to add in mixing it up. With the pool still i could see fine white particals getting stuired up. I'm assuming that's dead algae.

Current readings
FC 15
CC 1.5
PH 7.2 since FC was low I tested to see where it was at

That's the first time I've seen the CC drop, it's been running 2.5 to 2 the entire time. I hope that means what I think it means

That's great the CC is finally starting to come down!

Personal Suggestion: if it were my pool, I would use poolmath to raise the pH from 6.8 - 7.2 (using baking soda, it will bump TA some, but not to bad), with a vinyl liner and FC over 10, your pH should be reading slightly higher then desired pH. Some might disagree, but I'd bump my pH just a bit, to protect my liner.

I would be careful adding anything to raise pH.

If when doing the pH test you quickly look at the color range after adding the reagent, the test is pretty valid. It takes a bit of time for the test to darken when FC is above 10.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.