Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
I've read a few threads mention that water temp plays a role in the accuracy of the CYA test. Since CYA levels are critical to proper pool maintenance, maybe the test instructions can be updated to include a note regarding cold water samples. I'm not sure if this is possible, but it may help new users achieve accurate results.

Just my 2 cents...

Mike.

I am not completely sure but I think, over time, we have exaggerated that affect.

Certainly, we would not rely on a test in 40 degree water but we probably shouldn't be testing when the water is that cold anyway.

So, as we begin to open our pools in the spring, we see water temps somewhere around 55-65 degrees......give or take. I doubt the CYA test will be skewed by that variance any SIGNIFICANT amount. I do not believe room temperature will give a much different reading than the normal pool temp.

The only way we could get an indicator right now is if some of our Minnesotans (or Canadians) with water temps still in the 50's is to do the CYA test at regular temp, then do it again after warming the sample to 75.

Any volunteers? That would be a worthwhile experiment.....not very scientific but it would be a good indicator.

In some recent posts, it's been indicated that a cooler water temp could lead to an incorrect CYA reading (I believe it was lower then actual), resulting in to much CYA being added (if it resulted in an inaccurately low reading)

What actually happens when the water is colder is that the reaction with the reagent is slower. So you may need to wait more than the minute or so that is recommended in the instructions for the reaction to complete to get an accurate result. Whether you let the water warm up or you just wait longer after mixing the reagents, you should likely get the same result

This year, I definitely noticed my pool water sample tested at 60F, cya was not registering at all. (cya reagent was stored inside/room temp)

The very same day, that same sample at 70F registered as cloudy and CYA of 30.

So that's how I am doing pool opening CYA test from now on.

Previous years I had not noticed because I did the CYA test after the heater had
brought the water to at least 75F.

And the only reason I tested it cold this year is because a very thin film of algae
started up and I needed to know what it was to SLAM.

I had not added the first chlorine of the year beginning of march like I usually do (waited til first of april), a mistake I won't make again.

Anybody got some CYA standard to toss into the freezer for a hour or so?

I still have some I bought form TFP last summer. Now I tested over the summer and got 40-50 so I figured that was about what I should see, I tested it this winter (stored at about 75 in home) and it tested more like 50-60.

What do we expect cold water to do vs room temp? To send the reading up or down?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I still have some I bought form TFP last summer. Now I tested over the summer and got 40-50 so I figured that was about what I should see, I tested it this winter (stored at about 75 in home) and it tested more like 50-60.

What do we expect cold water to do vs room temp? To send the reading up or down?
It (possibly) gives a lower reading then "actual"/expected

Someone in a recent thread experienced a difference when they allowed their sample to warm up. Unfortunately I cannot remember who it was!

my pool is usually tested around 90 degrees and my CYA seems to always be a bit lower than I think. I only test it ever few months but I keep loosing 5-10 a month rather than the more expected 3-5. I'll test this sample around 40 (wherever my fridge is set, it was 60 2 months ago at 75. Maybe there is enough for a couple other tests as well

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.