Filter not filtering or super dirty water?

Added chlorine earlier to get to 24 (0.0 CC). Will check one more time late tonight, but the pool is mostly under shade now (thanks to 25’ tall arborvitae trees lining our property).

Its been raining most of the day and hadn't cracked 70 until just lately (pool water temp is only 67). Did a little bit of floor scrubbing and have continued to run the pump at near full speed 24/7. About to scrub the side walls.

FC: 23.5
CC: 0.5
pH: 7.2
Water temp: 65

Looks like 2 of 3 SLAM criteria are there. Water is overall pretty clear, but there’s still a little bit of dead algae on the pool floor. Going to vacuum that up today and hope it goes away!

Looks like 2 of 3 SLAM criteria are there. Water is overall pretty clear, but there’s still a little bit of dead algae on the pool floor. Going to vacuum that up today and hope it goes away!
Fantastic! :goodjob: Stick with it now and don't let up. Be patient.

Going to get a chlorine refill later today. Would it make sense or be a good idea to throw some DE in the filter at this point?

I think the skimmer basket sock is helping catch some of the fine stuff, but I’m not sure if all the algae is actually being vacuumed up. It tends to at first get smeared around when I run the vac head over spots, and then goes POOF as I run it back over. I’m sure I’m getting more and more each time, but there’s still a bit left. Trying to get it all!! :)

Would it make sense or be a good idea to throw some DE in the filter at this point?
I wouldn't yet until all the junk is out of the pool, and all you are left with is very minor "floaties" in the water. I'd also ensure the OCLT passed first as well.

My skimmer sock catches the same thing, and its thick...And have problem with dirt on pool floor...Did yours ever clear up?
The water has been pretty clear since last Monday after dousing the pool with 5 gallons of 12.5%, but I didn’t have any CYA in yet, so it’s effectiveness may not have been maximized. Now that I’ve properly SLAM’ed it (and told me wife no to swimming last weekend, that the pool wasn’t ready yet), it (the junk on the pool floor) is indeed getting better after each vacuum and scrub.

Now if it would only warm up and stop raining. It’s been raining almost non-stop for 2 weeks now...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yea, im down here in dallas, so my pool is already around 86 degrees. My water is crystal clear, but that dang sediment when pump is on is killing me...Ive heard a lot of people get this same problem all the time...

Yea, im down here in dallas, so my pool is already around 86 degrees. My water is crystal clear, but that dang sediment when pump is on is killing me...Ive heard a lot of people get this same problem all the time...
This is what my PB receptionist mentioned, and that’s what got me thinking that maybe this problem I’m having is simply algae that’s not getting vacuumed properly, if at all. I may have been too impatient with my vacuuming (last summer I had 3 girls that were two years old or younger, so time was... scarce).

I WISH I could get my water to 86! Even at the hottest point of a Wisconsin summer, we can get up to a heater assisted 84! Even with a cover, it gets too cold at night to maintain a temp that high.

Down here, in the dead of summer, I had to buy a fountain that we can attach to the return jet, and it helps cooling the water, when water temp gets in the 90's..You need to move away from the frozen tundra!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Good news: FC only dropped to 21 this morning, and the pool floor still only has a little bit of dead algae. It’s certainly not covering almost the entire floor like last week!

Bad news: it rained like crazy yesterday, so this was my first test since Monday night. Being home with 3 young kids during the week means I barely have enough time to run out and vacuum/scrub on a nice sunny day, nevermind trying to do so while it’s in the low 60’s and raining.

Overall though, to only lose 2 ppm FC while the water level rose (and CYA likely dropped) over 24 hours... that’s a good sign. However, I woke up this morning after having a nightmare that the pool turned super dark slushy green overnight! LOL

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.