Black specks , flecks on stairs and pool bottom

sammm

LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2007
F-V, NC
I have been noticing these very small black 'specks' on my stairs and some on the pool bottom. I have shocked the pool as described and the FC level does hold overnight. (The attached picture is an extreme close-up of my top step)

Are these the remains of black algae? If I scrub them with a stainless steel brush, some do come off but they are stubborn! Any ideas?

Thanks in advance! :cheers:

Bringing this one back. After scratching my head for a few weeks I happened to look closely at my coping tiles yesterday afternoon. I found the same black specks on those as well.

Apparently something airborne made its way over my pool and left the deposits. It's almost tar like. The only thing I can think of at this point is that it's related the all the new roofs going on in our neighborhood. We had a big hail storm back in March, so most everyone in a 2-3 mile radius needs new shingles. Still strange as to what it really is and how it got here. :?

I was wondering, I recall that calcium chloride used as de-icer used to leave little black specs -- from the last time I was actually in a northern place that had snow and ice about 20+ years ago. I think I was told that is why cars in the north all seem to have black carpets.

Anyhow, any chance that the calcium chloride used to increase calcium levels might have done that? If indeed that was used and if I am recalling the black spec issure correctly.

anonapersona said:
I was wondering, I recall that calcium chloride used as de-icer used to leave little black specs -- from the last time I was actually in a northern place that had snow and ice about 20+ years ago.

No calcium chloride here, just BBB! :mrgreen: I plan on checking with my neighbor who also has a pool and see if he has the same black spots.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.