Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Black specks , flecks on stairs and pool bottom

1. Back To Top    #1

Black specks , flecks on stairs and pool bottom

I have been noticing these very small black 'specks' on my stairs and some on the pool bottom. I have shocked the pool as described and the FC level does hold overnight. (The attached picture is an extreme close-up of my top step)

Are these the remains of black algae? If I scrub them with a stainless steel brush, some do come off but they are stubborn! Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
    WetEdge Satin Matrix, 16K gallon, Pentair NSP-60 DE filter, Pac Fab Challenger, 2HP pump, BBB, Polaris 360

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Black specks , flecks on stairs and pool bottom

kinda looks like part of the plaster finish to me....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Definitely not part of the plaster.
    WetEdge Satin Matrix, 16K gallon, Pentair NSP-60 DE filter, Pac Fab Challenger, 2HP pump, BBB, Polaris 360

4. Back To Top    #4

Anyway to make the pic smaller, it's hard to put it in perspective without something to compare it to...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Here's a broader view with a penny for size reference. (Can't explain the 'YUCKY' stamped on the penny...I just grabbed one out of my change bucket )

6. Back To Top    #6

Bump....anyone

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, you said it is "definitely not part of the plaster", but are you sure?

Can you post a full set of #'s and tell us any problems you've had recently or any new products you may have used?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Bringing this one back. After scratching my head for a few weeks I happened to look closely at my coping tiles yesterday afternoon. I found the same black specks on those as well.

Apparently something airborne made its way over my pool and left the deposits. It's almost tar like. The only thing I can think of at this point is that it's related the all the new roofs going on in our neighborhood. We had a big hail storm back in March, so most everyone in a 2-3 mile radius needs new shingles. Still strange as to what it really is and how it got here.

9. Back To Top    #9

I was wondering, I recall that calcium chloride used as de-icer used to leave little black specs -- from the last time I was actually in a northern place that had snow and ice about 20+ years ago. I think I was told that is why cars in the north all seem to have black carpets.

Anyhow, any chance that the calcium chloride used to increase calcium levels might have done that? If indeed that was used and if I am recalling the black spec issure correctly.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    I was wondering, I recall that calcium chloride used as de-icer used to leave little black specs -- from the last time I was actually in a northern place that had snow and ice about 20+ years ago.
    No calcium chloride here, just BBB! I plan on checking with my neighbor who also has a pool and see if he has the same black spots.