Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Possible algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

Possible algae?

We opened our pool a week ago and after refill, stabilizing, and chlorinating (SLAM levels) the water is a beautiful, cold dream. Except for this issue (photo attached if I did that from cell right).
    Here are my numbers:
    FC 12
    CC 0
    PH 7.4
    CYA around 28 (was 30 but we've done vacuuming to waste)
    TA 200 (but ph doesnt rise much)

We only get this stuff on the bottom while the sand filter is running. After I brush or vacuum, it just dissipates or it comes right back thru the filter. When the pump turns on there is about 2 seconds of a light brown "something" that flows thru. After several hours all of the stuff in the photo settles.
    I did an OCLT test and we lost no chlorine. Is this possibly algae, do I need to SLAM more? I'm at my wits end.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Location: Southwest Louisiana. 22' Round Intex AG pool. Sand filter. Test kit: Taylor K 2006.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Possible algae?

Have you backwashed your filter lately?
    16' by 4' Intex Ultra Frame AGP
    Intex Sand Filter Pump & SWG
    Hayward Skimmer, Intex Auto Cleaner
    TF-100 & Speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

If you passed the OCLT, my guess is that it's dust. I have trouble with fine dust getting through my sand filter too.
    SLAM * Chlorine/CYA Chart * Pool Math * Pool School
    17.5k gal IG Fiberglass, Triton II TR60 Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magum Force Pump 1.5 hp, 3/4 hp booster, Polaris 280, TF-100 Test Kit with Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by kellyfair View Post
    Have you backwashed your filter lately?
    We have 2x after we got the pool clear, and numerous times last week after each vacuum.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Razorhog View Post
    If you passed the OCLT, my guess is that it's dust. I have trouble with fine dust getting through my sand filter too.
    I was actually wondering how pollen looks on the floor bottom? We have a huge oak in the yard around the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I haven't tried that many posters suggest in the forums, is to tie a sock to the return and catch blowout.
    Location: Southwest Louisiana. 22' Round Intex AG pool. Sand filter. Test kit: Taylor K 2006.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have to say, the Intex auto cleaner does a great job picking up fine dust. It attaches to the return, not the intake, so the stuff on the bottom of the pool never even gets to filter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LoriWilfer View Post
    I was actually wondering how pollen looks on the floor bottom? We have a huge oak in the yard around the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I haven't tried that many posters suggest in the forums, is to tie a sock to the return and catch blowout.
    Pollen can look a lot like algae! Try the sock or hairnet trick and let’s see what you catch!
    TF-100 & Speedstir

6. Back To Top    #6

I have to say, the Intex auto cleaner does a great job picking up fine dust. It attaches to the return, not the intake, so the stuff on the bottom of the pool never even gets to filter.

- - - Updated - - -

Pollen can look a lot like algae! Try the sock or hairnet trick and let’s see what you catch!
    Lol We have him too. I ran him after all the hand vac'ing to waste, and it picked up a little sand and dirt, but after backwash and rinse, once the pump began filtering after 2hrs I was back with this.

7. Back To Top    #7

Put a knee-high panty hose on the skimmer basket and see if it's catching pollen. It acts as a pre-filter and catches a lot of stuff. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get clogged and starve the pump of water.

Edit: you can also use hair nets. 100 for like 6 dollars on Amazon Link: http://a.co/9D4VKrV
    SLAM * Chlorine/CYA Chart * Pool Math * Pool School
    17.5k gal IG Fiberglass, Triton II TR60 Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magum Force Pump 1.5 hp, 3/4 hp booster, Polaris 280, TF-100 Test Kit with Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

So your Intex cleaner is on your return and you still get this debris? Or did you remove him?
    TF-100 & Speedstir

9. Back To Top    #9

So your Intex cleaner is on your return and you still get this debris? Or did you remove him?
    When I hook the vac hose to the return, it cleans the floor great (unless what Im fighting just dissipates) but after I take him out, backwash, and put the pump back on filter, we end up with the same issue after a few hours...its extremely frustrating.

10. Back To Top    #10

You may be backwashing too much. Sand filters clean better when they are a bit dirty! I think I backwashed once, maybe twice, all last summer.

I leave my cleaner connected all the time. I hoist him onto the steps about once a week to clean his basket.
    TF-100 & Speedstir