Possible algae?

Apr 15, 2017
Lake Charles, La
We opened our pool a week ago and after refill, stabilizing, and chlorinating (SLAM levels) the water is a beautiful, cold dream. Except for this issue (photo attached if I did that from cell right).
Here are my numbers:
FC 12
CC 0
PH 7.4
CYA around 28 (was 30 but we've done vacuuming to waste)
TA 200 (but ph doesnt rise much)

We only get this stuff on the bottom while the sand filter is running. After I brush or vacuum, it just dissipates or it comes right back thru the filter. When the pump turns on there is about 2 seconds of a light brown "something" that flows thru. After several hours all of the stuff in the photo settles.
I did an OCLT test and we lost no chlorine. Is this possibly algae, do I need to SLAM more? I'm at my wits end.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180516-070807.jpg
    Screenshot_20180516-070807.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 34
Have you backwashed your filter lately?

We have 2x after we got the pool clear, and numerous times last week after each vacuum.

- - - Updated - - -

If you passed the OCLT, my guess is that it's dust. I have trouble with fine dust getting through my sand filter too.

I was actually wondering how pollen looks on the floor bottom? We have a huge oak in the yard around the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I haven't tried that many posters suggest in the forums, is to tie a sock to the return and catch blowout.

I have to say, the Intex auto cleaner does a great job picking up fine dust. It attaches to the return, not the intake, so the stuff on the bottom of the pool never even gets to filter.

- - - Updated - - -

I was actually wondering how pollen looks on the floor bottom? We have a huge oak in the yard around the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I haven't tried that many posters suggest in the forums, is to tie a sock to the return and catch blowout.

Pollen can look a lot like algae! Try the sock or hairnet trick and let’s see what you catch!

I have to say, the Intex auto cleaner does a great job picking up fine dust. It attaches to the return, not the intake, so the stuff on the bottom of the pool never even gets to filter.

- - - Updated - - -

Pollen can look a lot like algae! Try the sock or hairnet trick and let’s see what you catch!

Lol We have him too. I ran him after all the hand vac'ing to waste, and it picked up a little sand and dirt, but after backwash and rinse, once the pump began filtering after 2hrs I was back with this.

So your Intex cleaner is on your return and you still get this debris? Or did you remove him?

You may be backwashing too much. Sand filters clean better when they are a bit dirty! I think I backwashed once, maybe twice, all last summer.

I leave my cleaner connected all the time. I hoist him onto the steps about once a week to clean his basket.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.