Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: adding water to pool question

1. Back To Top    #1

adding water to pool question

How often do you find you need to add water to the pool? New pool, and my water level is a couple of inches below the half way mark of the tiles. When you add water from the garden hose, what effects on the chemestry do you find?

Thanks
    17,342 Gallon-IG-Shotcrete-Tahoe Blue Pebbletec-Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter-Jandy Variable Speed E Pump 2.2 HP-Jandy 6614 Control Box with Salt System-Jandy 1400 Salt Cell-RS4 Aqualink Control Board-iAqualink IQ 20 interface-Polaris 280 Cleaner-Polaris Booster Pump-Taylor 2006c Test kit and youtube

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: adding water to pool question

Depends on the amount of evaporation and/or rain you get.

Adding water should have a very minor impact on the chemistry. Most of the solids (CH, salt, CYA) should be unchanged (well CH may go up a little). And the fill water TA and pH could have a minor influence.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: adding water to pool question

Best to test your fill water so you can anticipate any effects prior to filling.
    For example my tap water is high in TA so I know my acid demand will be rise slowly when I top off the pool.
    Also I see a slight dip in FC levels due to the fact that municipal tap will have a low FC, .04ppm compared to the pool at 7ppm
    My fill water is also fairly low in CH at 110 so any rise is minimal.
    27,000 gallons of central CA well water housed in a fiberglass coated concrete/plaster pool, dug into the most productive top soil on earth and surrounded by an urban forest.
    Cleaned with a Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, a 48 sq ft DE filter and a Dolphin Discovery (S200) robot. 250 gal Hot Springs Solana RX stand alone spa. Taylor K-2006. My first thread... New Old House, New Old Pool....