who has not opened? Neighbor reports

Melnic

Silver Supporter
Jun 7, 2017
Maryland
OK,
I'm in Maryland between Baltimore and D.C.
I opened April 6th. I had thought about opening beginning of May but felt I had a bunch of stuff to address (10 year old pool and wanted to start replacing stuff this spring).
Long time DIY pool owner friend told me to close late and open early and I will have less water quality issues so took his advice.
I did have a few overnight freezes but no troubles with the pumps running.

I have been watching the neighbors who have pools and I was the first one that I could see who opened a pool. Driving into and through my neighborhood I can see about 4 other pools including next door. One pool I can see at the entrance to the neighborhood just opened up this week and I can see the dark green water. I have not had any chance to ask the neighbor when he is opening and I don't want to pry in his business but I'll be curious to see what his pool is like when he does. For all I know he may have already been keeping tabs on his water. All I can see from my house is his cover on. We have had continual 10 days to Memorial weekend, I was expecting more pools to be open. Previous owner of my pool opened it last year on May 1. It was reported to be "murky" but I did not know if it was green or not.

What is everyone else seeing in their neighborhood? anyone procrastinating their opening or have not been able to due to other unforeseen circumstances?

There are a total of 4 above ground pools on our hillside and I'm always the first to open. I was late this year. The neighbor beside me has a 24'×52" pool that she opens in late May. I just got her using bleach last year and her pool looked great all year. The one neighbor above us doesn't cover their 18'×52" pool. It's never crystal clear and always has a floater with tabs in it. The other neighbor has a really nice 12'×48" hard sided pool with a deck around 3/4th of the pool. Tgey cover it every year and I've never seen it cloudy, let alone green. I'd go as far as saying it's a TFP pool. He told me a couple weeks ago that my pool looks fantastic since cleaning and I always beat everyone, every year to open.

I opened the same day as you and helped a friend a week later. Slow openings in MD due to the poor weather. I still see a few safety covers on in my area.

OK,
I opened April 6th. I had thought about opening beginning of May but felt I had a bunch of stuff to address (10 year old pool and wanted to start replacing stuff this spring).
Long time DIY pool owner friend told me to close late and open early and I will have less water quality issues so took his advice.

I have been watching the neighbors who have pools and I was the first one that I could see who opened a pool. Driving into and through my neighborhood I can see about 4 other pools including next door. One pool I can see at the entrance to the neighborhood just opened up this week and I can see the dark green water. I have not had any chance to ask the neighbor when he is opening and I don't want to pry in his business but I'll be curious to see what his pool is like when he does. For all I know he may have already been keeping tabs on his water. All I can see from my house is his cover on. We have had continual 10 days to Memorial weekend, I was expecting more pools to be open. Previous owner of my pool opened it last year on May 1. It was reported to be "murky" but I did not know if it was green or not.

What is everyone else seeing in their neighborhood? anyone procrastinating their opening or have not been able to due to other unforeseen circumstances?

Around the middle of April I got the filter and pump going and balanced water. The water is crystal clear. I still haven't taken the winter cover off. The water is only in the low 60's so we won't be getting in anytime soon. Pa. has had an extremely cold spring. I hope to get the solar panels up and running in the next week and then the winter cover can come off. The few pools around our area are all green.

I'm in Maryland and we normally open around the first week in May, have only once in 14 years opened to a swampy mess and that was the year it was unusually hot in March/April so I prefer to keep our utility bill down for an extra month (we don't have a heater and never use the pool before Memorial Day). That said, we got a late start this year because we were planning to get a renovation done, and once we decided to postpone it until fall, it still didn't feel like spring around here! We started it up yesterday, it isn't crystal clear but it isn't a green swamp either. The weather has definitely made opening less urgent for me this year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Northern NJ, I always open in mid to late April to get things running and see what needs to be fixed before my pool company gets busy. Then I can relax and enjoy my pool as soon as the weather gets warm.

Talking to the folks at my local pool store while buying MA they said lots of people waited this year with the cold April we had and they are first getting calls now for pool openings ASAP and are slammed. I think lots of folks don't think about their pool until the weather gets warm.

Ok, so I opened on the 25th. Cover had pin holes. Lots of pollen in the water. Ran filter with skimmer sox over nite. cleaned the sox before work. ran at work Friday until we left for long weekend and put in my timer stops before leaving. Came home to tons of settled pollen in the middle. vaccumed up and started the SLAM.

Cleared up but pollen is really bad. still using the sox every day.

OK,

Hey Melnic, I recognize your name from another forum.

Just had mine opened last week and got new pump running last night. It's a mess.

Storms and junk from neighbor's trees delayed our opening this year.

Hey Melnic, I recognize your name from another forum.

Just had mine opened last week and got new pump running last night. It's a mess.

Storms and junk from neighbor's trees delayed our opening this year.

Yup, that's me (MDS!)

are you ditching the Bioguard/Mineral Springs products? I did late last year when my spring purchase of the Renewal ran out. Not buying anymore!
Dispite my Pool guys putting in my filter valve backwards (now fixed), my pool water is xtal clear and chems are looking pretty good.

BTW, one neighbor at at the entrance STILL has a green pool. Now, the Next door family opened the week before memorial and the pool guy was there for a couple hours vacuuming.
When I got back from the weekend, pool looked blue but I don't have a good view and I have not talked to him. A Vendor from work opened up 2 weeks ago. Took a day to clean things up and he's clear. He however does not have a good kit so he really does not know what he's got for true numbers. He has a system to add Muratic Acid. He only measures PH and FC, then visually looks at clarity.

Keeping the salt generator. I don't use anything much besides bleach and bags of salt. I didn't know there were special products to use with the bioguard.

I was scrubbing the pool this morning then used the vacuum attached to the pole, but the bracket holding it to the pole broke. So hoping the filter does its job.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.