Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: who has not opened? Neighbor reports

1. Back To Top    #1

who has not opened? Neighbor reports

OK,
    I'm in Maryland between Baltimore and D.C.
    I opened April 6th. I had thought about opening beginning of May but felt I had a bunch of stuff to address (10 year old pool and wanted to start replacing stuff this spring).
    Long time DIY pool owner friend told me to close late and open early and I will have less water quality issues so took his advice.
    I did have a few overnight freezes but no troubles with the pumps running.

I have been watching the neighbors who have pools and I was the first one that I could see who opened a pool. Driving into and through my neighborhood I can see about 4 other pools including next door. One pool I can see at the entrance to the neighborhood just opened up this week and I can see the dark green water. I have not had any chance to ask the neighbor when he is opening and I don't want to pry in his business but I'll be curious to see what his pool is like when he does. For all I know he may have already been keeping tabs on his water. All I can see from my house is his cover on. We have had continual 10 days to Memorial weekend, I was expecting more pools to be open. Previous owner of my pool opened it last year on May 1. It was reported to be "murky" but I did not know if it was green or not.

What is everyone else seeing in their neighborhood? anyone procrastinating their opening or have not been able to due to other unforeseen circumstances?
    25,000gal IG Concrete , Purchased Property 6/1/17 Pool Built 2008, Well Water
    Multi Port valve, DE filter, Intellitouch FW1.100, Intellichlor IC40 , Intelliflo VS2, Waterfall on a Jandy Compool
    Polaris 280 on 3/4HP Booster Pump. Screenlogic2. Mobile Touch Remote. Former Mineral Springs Customer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: who has not opened? Neighbor reports

I live in the land of never closing!
    16' by 4' Intex Ultra Frame AGP
    Intex Sand Filter Pump & SWG
    Hayward Skimmer, Intex Auto Cleaner
    TF-100 & Speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

There are a total of 4 above ground pools on our hillside and I'm always the first to open. I was late this year. The neighbor beside me has a 24'52" pool that she opens in late May. I just got her using bleach last year and her pool looked great all year. The one neighbor above us doesn't cover their 18'52" pool. It's never crystal clear and always has a floater with tabs in it. The other neighbor has a really nice 12'48" hard sided pool with a deck around 3/4th of the pool. Tgey cover it every year and I've never seen it cloudy, let alone green. I'd go as far as saying it's a TFP pool. He told me a couple weeks ago that my pool looks fantastic since cleaning and I always beat everyone, every year to open.

4. Back To Top    #4

I opened the same day as you and helped a friend a week later. Slow openings in MD due to the poor weather. I still see a few safety covers on in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
    OK,
    I opened April 6th. I had thought about opening beginning of May but felt I had a bunch of stuff to address (10 year old pool and wanted to start replacing stuff this spring).
    Long time DIY pool owner friend told me to close late and open early and I will have less water quality issues so took his advice.

I have been watching the neighbors who have pools and I was the first one that I could see who opened a pool. Driving into and through my neighborhood I can see about 4 other pools including next door. One pool I can see at the entrance to the neighborhood just opened up this week and I can see the dark green water. I have not had any chance to ask the neighbor when he is opening and I don't want to pry in his business but I'll be curious to see what his pool is like when he does. For all I know he may have already been keeping tabs on his water. All I can see from my house is his cover on. We have had continual 10 days to Memorial weekend, I was expecting more pools to be open. Previous owner of my pool opened it last year on May 1. It was reported to be "murky" but I did not know if it was green or not.

What is everyone else seeing in their neighborhood? anyone procrastinating their opening or have not been able to due to other unforeseen circumstances?
    Jim

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG

5. Back To Top    #5
    Kansas, No yellow brick Road, But we have a SPARKLY BLUE POOL!

No neighbors have pools, but we opened in April! This week I've seen some posts for "pool stuff" on our local FB pages, so they're starting here
    Quick Links for TFP Info: Pool Water Chemistry ~ PoolMath ~ FC/CYA Chart ~ SLAM
    Ours: AGP 2500gal 15' x 33" (@24") w/Intex 0.5hp(2100GPH) Pump & 12" Sand Filter w/Hydrotools Skimmer
    Test Kits = Speedstir + Drops 5-way + FAS-DPD + CYA
    I support TFP Forums ♥ Has the info saved you $? You can support too!

6. Back To Top    #6

Opening today.
    19,000 gallons, Well Water, Built in 2008
    Stay-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, MasterTemp 400 Propane heater
    Intellichlor 40 SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    1.5 HP Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

i opened april 12 to crystal clear water here in southeast PA. 3 of my neighbors yet to open--curious to see what their water looks like once covers are off.
    Viking Coronado IG Fiberglass 13k gallons, Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Pentair Cartridge Filter (320 sqft), Pentair Electric Heat Pump (125k btu), Pentair Intellichlor IC20 SWG. TF-100 Test Kit. Located in SouthEastern PA.

8. Back To Top    #8

Still not open... Usually Mothers Day weekend. Had to drive home with my daughter from college in Fla. Its been raining here all week. Maybe this week sometime.
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

9. Back To Top    #9

Around the middle of April I got the filter and pump going and balanced water. The water is crystal clear. I still haven't taken the winter cover off. The water is only in the low 60's so we won't be getting in anytime soon. Pa. has had an extremely cold spring. I hope to get the solar panels up and running in the next week and then the winter cover can come off. The few pools around our area are all green.
    30 ft. round Conquest agp, 19,800 gal; Pentair Easy Clean 1 hp DE EC60 filter system
    Hayward H250N gas heater; TF100 Test Kit
    2 Fafco 4x20 sunsaver solar bear solar panels
    Dolphin E 10 ~ Zoomerang slide
    Majestic 8000 Above-Ground Pool Step

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm in Maryland and we normally open around the first week in May, have only once in 14 years opened to a swampy mess and that was the year it was unusually hot in March/April so I prefer to keep our utility bill down for an extra month (we don't have a heater and never use the pool before Memorial Day). That said, we got a late start this year because we were planning to get a renovation done, and once we decided to postpone it until fall, it still didn't feel like spring around here! We started it up yesterday, it isn't crystal clear but it isn't a green swamp either. The weather has definitely made opening less urgent for me this year.
    17,000 IG plaster pool | Pentair DE filter | Hayward AquaRite T-15 SWCG | Polaris 380 | Taylor K-2005, Taylor K-2006 & TF-100 test kits

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I've been opened and swimming since April.
    29k Gallon Free Form Gunite Pool, 3 floor returns, 2 wall returns, 1 vacuum pressure port, 2 skimmers, Main drain, Jandy JXI400N Gas Heater, Jandy CV340 Cartridge Filter, FusionSoft 1400 SWG, 2 Watercolors LED, iAqualink with PDA, Sheer Waterfall, Rock Waterfall, 9' Deep End w/Diving Board, SunDeck, Polaris 9650iQ, TF-100 - Pool Build - 2017 - Google Photos

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Northern NJ, I always open in mid to late April to get things running and see what needs to be fixed before my pool company gets busy. Then I can relax and enjoy my pool as soon as the weather gets warm.

Talking to the folks at my local pool store while buying MA they said lots of people waited this year with the cold April we had and they are first getting calls now for pool openings ASAP and are slammed. I think lots of folks don't think about their pool until the weather gets warm.
    -Allen
    IG 20x50 35,000 gal Cayman Lagoon Hydrazoo plaster w/ spa & waterfall, Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Pentair Mastertemp 400BTU Nat Gas Heater, Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE Filter, Polaris 380 cleaner, Meyco solid winter cover, TF100 Test Kit, Built in 2000 & replastered in 2017

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok, so I opened on the 25th. Cover had pin holes. Lots of pollen in the water. Ran filter with skimmer sox over nite. cleaned the sox before work. ran at work Friday until we left for long weekend and put in my timer stops before leaving. Came home to tons of settled pollen in the middle. vaccumed up and started the SLAM.

Cleared up but pollen is really bad. still using the sox every day.
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
    OK,

Hey Melnic, I recognize your name from another forum.

Just had mine opened last week and got new pump running last night. It's a mess.

Storms and junk from neighbor's trees delayed our opening this year.

35k gallons, in ground, plaster, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus, Bioguard, Mineral Springs salt water, Pentair Intelliflo VSP

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Bbp View Post
    Hey Melnic, I recognize your name from another forum.

Just had mine opened last week and got new pump running last night. It's a mess.

Storms and junk from neighbor's trees delayed our opening this year.
    Yup, that's me (MDS!)

are you ditching the Bioguard/Mineral Springs products? I did late last year when my spring purchase of the Renewal ran out. Not buying anymore!
    Dispite my Pool guys putting in my filter valve backwards (now fixed), my pool water is xtal clear and chems are looking pretty good.

BTW, one neighbor at at the entrance STILL has a green pool. Now, the Next door family opened the week before memorial and the pool guy was there for a couple hours vacuuming.
    When I got back from the weekend, pool looked blue but I don't have a good view and I have not talked to him. A Vendor from work opened up 2 weeks ago. Took a day to clean things up and he's clear. He however does not have a good kit so he really does not know what he's got for true numbers. He has a system to add Muratic Acid. He only measures PH and FC, then visually looks at clarity.
    25,000gal IG Concrete , Purchased Property 6/1/17 Pool Built 2008, Well Water
    Multi Port valve, DE filter, Intellitouch FW1.100, Intellichlor IC40 , Intelliflo VS2, Waterfall on a Jandy Compool
    Polaris 280 on 3/4HP Booster Pump. Screenlogic2. Mobile Touch Remote. Former Mineral Springs Customer

16. Back To Top    #16

Keeping the salt generator. I don't use anything much besides bleach and bags of salt. I didn't know there were special products to use with the bioguard.

I was scrubbing the pool this morning then used the vacuum attached to the pole, but the bracket holding it to the pole broke. So hoping the filter does its job.

35k gallons, in ground, plaster, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus, Bioguard, Mineral Springs salt water, Pentair Intelliflo VSP