Filter fails to prime consistently

Aug 23, 2009
Edmond, OK
For some unknown reason, my newly acquired pool (Blue Haven approx. 5 yrs. old), has a filter that doesn't always prime. I have to hit the service light button to stop the filter, unscrew the filter pump basket lid, add water (repeat up to 3 times) then it will fire up.

The previous owner said that he rarely encountered this problem. Recently, the motor was replaced (supposedly with a new ring), I had the sucker/skimmer check valves replaced with new o-rings due to frequent clogging and contributing to the priming issue. I had two pool service techs (from different companies) come out and do a check/maintenance. One suggested disabling/plugging the 02 Oxidizer to increase filter flow (decrease air in plumbing). I just disabled it so I'll see the effect it will have shortly. Flow is certainly better without the oxidizer.

Any ideas? Air being scavenged somewhere not yet noticed?

Oh yeah, the pool tech/owner said the Oxidizer is overrated and ineffective. I'm going to research that one...

A properly functioning circulatory pool system will have no air in it. If yours does, you have a suction side leak that needs to be traced.

Once you discover that air leak, the pump will prime with ease.

My assumption is that when you shut off the pump, the pump basket empties of water so there is mostly air in it when the pump restarts. Sometimes, you can very carefull inspect all the unions, joints, etc. and actually hear that leak.

It is possible it could be a leak on the pressure side but you would normally see that as a water leak when the pump is running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.