Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Surge Protector (HEPD80) in Easy Touch Panel Box

1. Back To Top    #1

Surge Protector (HEPD80) in Easy Touch Panel Box

Hi guys,

I read it was good idea to protect pool equipment by installing surge protector at panel box and I picked one up and ready to install. Just yesterday I had lightning strike near my home and we lost a Wireless Router and the Screen Logic that were hooked up in bedroom closet so I'm pressed to get this installed asap!

I've never installed one of these before and reading thru the instructions it seems really straight forward. The boss (wifey) recommends an electrician but I wanted to check with you all first.

So I would simply turn off power to the ET box at main panel, set this inside the box, connect the black wires to a new 30 A two pole circuit breaker, white wire to neutral bar, green wire to grounding bar, turn on power to ET panel and that's pretty much it?

unnamed.jpg
    AJ- New Pool-OB 2018:~20k Gal IG Pool & Spa, 16 x 32 Irregular Shape, 10 x 7 Sunshelf 9 deep, Pebble Finish, Features: 3 Sheer Descent, 2-Sconces, 2-Bubblers, deck jets, Equipment: EasyTouch 8 w IC60 SWG, 3 HP VSP, CCP520 Cartridge Filter, Wireless Screen Logic, Pentair 400,000 BTU for spa, 3-Pentair GloBrites in Pool, 1-in Spa, One Skimmer, Three returns, One Vacuum Port, Solar, Screen Enclosure, TF-100, Magnetic Stirrer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Surge Protector (HEPD80) in Easy Touch Panel Box

The HEPD 80 is connected to a dual pole 20 amp breaker last I knew.

Use one of the knockouts on the bottom of your paneland the HEPD will attach to the knock out. Then the two black wires go to the breaker, the white wire to the neutral bus (the vertical silver bar with white and purple wires going to it) and the green wire to the ground bus ( the horizontal silver bar with green wires going to it )

It should look a little like this. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I installed a whole house surge protector in my main panel a few years ago. My main panel feeds my pool panel so all is protected.

Seems to work or have never had a problem - this kind auto resets.

https://www.amazon.com/Sycom-Whole-H.../dp/B011M2X9XO
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Just reread the instructions. 30 amp Max breaker. Either 20 or 30 is fine. I just installed mine with the main lugs. Both ways are acceptable.

17,000 gal 20' x 34' Polymer freeform pool, All Hayward products: Aqua plus 16v w/ SWG & Aqua connect, Summit 140k btu heat pump, Tristar VSP 1.85HP, 1 Universal Colorlogic light, 1 320 Colorlogic light, 1 4' lighted Sheer Descent, 2 Pentair Magic Bowls

5. Back To Top    #5

Having one in the main panel is good for everything in your house. Having one at the pool panel as close to the pump as possible offer much greater protection for the pump as pool panels are typically far removed from the main panel by long wire runs. Surge protectors work best when they are closest to the devices they are protecting as possible.

I may be a little crazy but I have a HEPD80 in both my main panel and my pool panel.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help