Surge Protector (HEPD80) in Easy Touch Panel Box

May 6, 2017
Central Florida
Hi guys,

I read it was good idea to protect pool equipment by installing surge protector at panel box and I picked one up and ready to install. Just yesterday I had lightning strike near my home and we lost a Wireless Router and the Screen Logic that were hooked up in bedroom closet so I'm pressed to get this installed asap!

I've never installed one of these before and reading thru the instructions it seems really straight forward. The boss (wifey) recommends an electrician but I wanted to check with you all first.

So I would simply turn off power to the ET box at main panel, set this inside the box, connect the black wires to a new 30 A two pole circuit breaker, white wire to neutral bar, green wire to grounding bar, turn on power to ET panel and that's pretty much it?

unnamed.jpg

The HEPD 80 is connected to a dual pole 20 amp breaker last I knew.

Use one of the knockouts on the bottom of your paneland the HEPD will attach to the knock out. Then the two black wires go to the breaker, the white wire to the neutral bus (the vertical silver bar with white and purple wires going to it) and the green wire to the ground bus ( the horizontal silver bar with green wires going to it )

It should look a little like this. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Attachments

• IMG_20170418_155025.jpg
    IMG_20170418_155025.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 86
Just reread the instructions. 30 amp Max breaker. Either 20 or 30 is fine. I just installed mine with the main lugs. Both ways are acceptable.
86d6b4633c6971d4728c7b621acc4fed.jpg

Having one in the main panel is good for everything in your house. Having one at the pool panel as close to the pump as possible offer much greater protection for the pump as pool panels are typically far removed from the main panel by long wire runs. Surge protectors work best when they are closest to the devices they are protecting as possible.

I may be a little crazy but I have a HEPD80 in both my main panel and my pool panel.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.