TA will not lower

May 15, 2018
Ohio
Hello everyone!

This is my first post and hopefully someone can help me before I go crazy.

This is the first year that I have opened my pool that was installed last summer and I can't get the TA lowered. I was told at the pool store that I need to lower the TA to lower the pH (which is also high in my water). My chlorine and stabalizer levels are perfect.

The guy at the pool store told me to add Muratic Acid to lower the TA. He told me to pour a 1/4 of a gallon in one spot and leave pool alone for 24 hrs and then test. I did what he said and nothing happened so I read a few websites and they told me to dilute the acid in a bucket of water and distribute throughout the pool when the pump is off, wait an hour and turn pump back on and then test water. I have done what the website said and have went through a gallon of Muratic Acid and NOTHING has lowered.

Someone PLEASE HELP! I would appreciate any suggestions.

Muriatic acid actually lowers your ph, which in turn helps lower your TA. What IS your TA number? You should use poolmath here (button at top of page) to determine how much to add for your total gallons then pour slowly in front of a running pool return and let it circulate for half an hour, then retest. Do you have one of our recommended test kits? Welcome.

What are your numbers?

Also, never pour acid in a spot and let it sit. Always mix it in well.

Acid lowers TA. If you have added a gallon and it's not moving, the test might be inaccurate or the acid might not be right.

What pool surface do you have?

What is the pool volume?

Muriatic acid actually lowers your ph, which in turn helps lower your TA. What IS your TA number? You should use poolmath here (button at top of page) to determine how much to add for your total gallons then pour slowly in front of a running pool return and let it circulate for half an hour, then retest. Do you have one of our recommended test kits? Welcome.

I'm going to do the PoolMath at lunch (currently bouncing between work and pool info).

No on the test kit. I haven't done much exploring on this site so I don't know what is recommended yet.

What are your numbers?

Acid lowers TA. If you have added a gallon and it's not moving, the test might be inaccurate or the acid might not be right.

What is the pool volume?

Numbers (using the test strips)"
pH = 8.4
FC = 3
TA = 240
Stabilizer = 30-50

Once I thought about what the pool guy said (pouring in spot) I felt like an idiot. That isn't logical.

Do you mean what kind of liner do I have? Remember I'm new to this so I don't understand some of the terminology *wink wink*

Volume = 19440 cubic gallons

Welcome. You will learn the terminology and all the wonderful aspects of knowing your pool is clean, safe and easy to manage.
Take a minute to let us know more about your pool.
How old, pool size, above or below ground, you mention a liner, type of filter etc.
Being able to test your pool water yourself is the where it all starts and will enable you to manage your system without being sold chemicals you do not need.
Invest in a good test kit like the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006.
You can find all the information you need on this site and there are many fine folks who are happy to help.

What are your numbers?

What is the pool volume?

I went to another site and they had a different volume calculator.

My pool is above ground 24' x 54" circular.

If I did the PoolMath correctly I should add 105 oz of Muriatic Acid and that will lower my pH.....which I assume lowers my TA.

So.....after adding the acid how long to I wait to run the pump and how long do I wait to test the water?

Capture.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just fyi, the advise you were given about pouring in muriatic acid in 1 spot and leave the pool alone is commonly referred to as the 'Slug Method' and it is supposed to lower TA without lowering pH as much. And it's been proven to be total non-sense, whether you add the acid to 1 spot or not, eventually it's going to be mixed in and have exactly the same effect. The 'Slug Method' can even be quite harmful to your pool's surface because of the highly concentrated acid sitting there before it can be more uniformly mixed in.

the fact that your pool store is even willing to dispense such advice means you should probably never ask or accept advise from that person again.

So I added the amount of muriadic acid that the PoolMath said at the water return and tested after 30min.

The pHone level went down to 7.8 but the TA didn't budge.

Now what do i do?

And I want to thank everyone. I appreciate all the help!

You are using test strips. They will not be accurate enough to accomplish what you are doing.

You need a proper test kit prior to adding chemicals.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.