Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Light Voltage Problem-V.drop?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Light Voltage Problem-V.drop?

Pool light 120V ok but Spa light would come on and off, now off altogether. Found Voltage drops to 60V at the light but 120V at the junction box? Anyone know what could cause V drop? Bulb checked ok. Could the overheat coil cause this and what to do?
    True L Vinyl liner 16x24x41 3 to 8' depth, hayward sand filter + pump, goldline salt system, 25k gallon, buddy seat and diving board

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Light Voltage Problem-V.drop?

Welcome to TFP.

Is the voltage drop the same with the light on and off?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Sounds to me as a lost neutral.. See if all connections are good and if so, The neutral may need to be replaced..
    17000 Gallons (16x32) Vinyl In Ground Pool
    Sand Filter
    Install "Finish Date" July 30 2014"
    Propane heater installed.. Used for 1 day.
    City Water.

4. Back To Top    #4

There is no voltage when the lights are off at switch--and when swith on there are no spa light and 60 volts to 80 volts. Ground/common seems to test ok.
    True L Vinyl liner 16x24x41 3 to 8' depth, hayward sand filter + pump, goldline salt system, 25k gallon, buddy seat and diving board

5. Back To Top    #5

Don't you have a transformer to the light? Is this an inground spa or a portable?
    Most lights us a transformer and drops the voltage down to 12 volts. Older pools allowed 120 v directly to the light.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks so far but no solution! No transformer as older system with 120 to the lights. Voltage ok at the switch and the junction box for the in ground spa.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have been fighting a similar problem for a couple of years now and finally solved it this weekend. The problem was oxidation on the bulb contacts. I wire brushed them and applied a spot of alumilox to the center pin contact and coated the threads. You need to be careful not to gob the stuff down in the socket. It is conductive grease and you can cause a problem if you create a path for current between the contact and the threads.
    Your 60 volt reading is strange. That may be something else. If you are taking the bulb out of the socket and measuring there you should have no voltage drop because you have no load on the circuit. The only way this could happen would be if there was some parallel path for current. I don't know exactly how the overheat coil is connected in the circuit. Perhaps it draws some current and you have a poor connection in the line that is dropping the voltage. If that is what is happening then there should be some heat generated at the bad connection. If your light holder is like mine then everything is potted so you really can't do much with it except the bulb.
    Whatever you do be careful dealing with this 120 V light around the pool. Don't work alone. When I am working with suff like that I use one hand as much as possible. I tie a rope to it and give the end to my wife so she can pull me off if I get hung.
    Keep us posted on your progress.
    37000 gallon inground vinyl
    intelliflo 11018
    Pentair 80 sand filter
    3/4 booster with polaris 260