Is it a bad time to convert from Baqua to chlorine?

owl96

May 15, 2018
Central PA
Just pulled the cover off my 9000 gal 15 x 24 above ground. Bottom has yellow mustard algae. This is a first for me as I installed the pool last summer. The biguanide level tests at approx 30 units (SoftSwim B). I would like to convert to chlorine. Is my biguanide level too high to make the conversion practical at this time? Is the presence of yellow mustard algae going to complicate the conversion? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regardless of what you pick anything will be cheaper/easier than Baqua...and that’s from a 15year user.

Seeing you’ve got a 9000gallon Pool a drain/refill is an option you should think about. It may or may not be cheapest BUT you’ll be swimming in a day or two. You’ll dump most (leave about a foot) of the water and scrub everything you can down with bleach. Fill it back up and resume the conversion process. You’ll still need to do some work but it will greatly reduce your time and effort. It may however cost more than following the conversion process in Pool School seeing you’ll need to truck in water.

If however you decide to follow the process and not drain the pool then don’t worry about the algae. The Baqua will make a larger mess than the algae anyways. The algae will go away quickly with the high levels of chlorine.

Thank you Leebo! As I recall, the water delivery costs me $300 - 400. I'll have to think this one over. After reading a few other threads on the conversion - it sure seems like it could potentially take a few weeks without changing the water.

So your water delivery rates are about like ours. If I’d have to pull a number out of a hat I’d expect following the conversion process to cost about 1/2 that so you’ll clearly be paying extra for a drain/refill but there will be time savings. Again pulling a guess out of a hat a normal conversion would likely take about a week to two (depends how hard you dose at the beginning) where a drain could likely be done in two to three days.

Welcome to TFP!

Lee is one of the Experts on Baqua conversions, having done it himself as well as helped others. So he is the right guy to listen to. I just have one question that could affect this: have you used any CDX products in your pool?

Good, CDX tends to complicate things a little.

In that case a conversion should be pretty straightforward. Don't hesitate to use the resources here, both pool school and the large group of knowledgeable people. Ask any questions, we are happy to help you.

Good luck with it! :)

After finding that the biguanide level (14) was lower than the test strips test (no big surprise) - I decided to convert without draining the pool. I balanced the pH and TA then vacuumed. After adding 4 gallons of 10% bleach over several hours and several FC tests, I measured little to no FC. After 6 gallons (total), it started to rise. It hit 15 ppm FC after 8 gallons. Two more gallons were required to maintain approx 15 ppm over the next few hours. I did see a cloudy green at first that turned to gray. I could not longer see the bottom for some time. Overnight the FC dropped only slightly (2-3 ppm). This morning, I can see the bottom of the pool again but it is far from clear. Backwashing gives me a good bit of brown/pink color in the discharge hose.

Those of you with experience with this conversion -does it sound like things are going according to plan? I expect that I still have quite a few day left in this process. Am I missing anything?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am now a little over 24 hours into this conversion and the pool is crystal clear again. The FC has dropped substantially through the day (as expected) as it is sunny. I do not see any color change when more chlorine is added. Will check drop in FC in the morning.

I am now a little over 24 hours into this conversion and the pool is crystal clear again. The FC has dropped substantially through the day (as expected) as it is sunny. I do not see any color change when more chlorine is added. Will check drop in FC in the morning.
Great update!

Owl96 (Dave), you're doing good. :goodjob: Stay the course and maintain that FC of 15 as best as you can. Try not to be swayed by the clear water or getting impatient. The chlorine is still working aggressively on goo trapped in the plumbing and filter you don't see. So there's a method to the conversion instructions. You're between steps 4-6 right now. Don't rush through step 7 until you pass that overnight requirement. Hang in there. It will al be worth it soon.
Pool School - Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine

It has been a week and my conversion is about done. It was easier than I expected. I am still bringing up the CYA level. The CC level is below 0.5. I used 14 gallons of 10% bleach. The advice on this forum was invaluable. Thank you!

It has been a week and my conversion is about done. It was easier than I expected. I am still bringing up the CYA level. The CC level is below 0.5. I used 14 gallons of 10% bleach. The advice on this forum was invaluable. Thank you!
Good deal! :goodjob: So by adding CYA, that would mean you passed the initial OCLT and have changed the sand and everything by now huh? Sounds like you got things wrapped-up just in time for the weekend. Enjoy. :swim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.