Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: dirt ring in skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

dirt ring in skimmer

Hello,

I have a dirt ring in my skimmer

and was wondering if a special cleaner is needed, or is something like simple green ok to try? I just don't want to screw up any chemistry. I kind of doubt it with the small amount of cleaner needed compared to the entire pool. But wanted to run it by everyone here first.

I do have an SWG and need to update my signature for that.

Thanks.
    24K white plaster IG pool (2016), Jandy DE, Jandy 1.5 HP pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, Hayward AquaRite 900 series SWG, Hayward H400DN heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: dirt ring in skimmer

Inside there you have many options. I like to start with just elbow grease myself and use either a green kitchen scrubbing sponge or a Magic Eraser. Those should work well on the plastic without any cleaner at all. If however you feel a cleaner is needed, stick to what you use already in the pool - some water & bleach or perhaps a little water and acid mixed 5:1. In almost all cases for me, the elbow grease and one of those items above worked well for the skimmer and even a scum line if it develops around the waterline. Happy scrubbing!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Mine wasn't that dirty, but I used the magic eraser like Pat mentioned and it cleaned it very well.
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, Jandy Proflo 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Same here, magic eraser works great!
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks all, I'll give the eraser a shot.
    24K white plaster IG pool (2016), Jandy DE, Jandy 1.5 HP pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, Hayward AquaRite 900 series SWG, Hayward H400DN heater