Adding Chlorine directly to the Skimmer Basket

Seems to me that pouring it slowly in front of a return doesn't take any more time and avoids any risk of damaging the equipment. That said, there are people who put pretty much everything into the skimmer (except acid).
--paulr

I started putting mine in the skimmer this year and have had no problems. But I usually only have to add about a quart of 6% each evening. So I have my 2 qt pitcher marked at each 1/2 qt mark. I pour bleach to the first mark (1/2 qt), finish filling with pool water and pour it into the skimmer. Then I repeat the process one more time and am done for the night. I have watched how well the returns distribute chemicals (muriatic acid is the easiest to see) poured in front of them and they do well. I just feel better knowing that the bleach I pour into the skimmer will come back out at both returns, one in the deep end and the other in the shallow end.

I have done everything but acid both ways. For my particular pool, into the skimmer is noticeably more convenient.

I believe both work fine as long as you don't "glop" the whole dosage into the pool with either method. Use some sense and do it slowly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.