Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Will a freeze damage a cartridge filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Will a freeze damage a cartridge filter?

I have a Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 320 filter which worked fine until we had a freeze (13 degrees) last winter. I suspected the cartridges may have been damaged so I replaced them but it still appears that something is wrong. I kust returned from a trip and found the pool water itself to be clear but lots of what appears to be dead algae on the bottom. When I vacumn it up I can see dirty water coming back out through the return lines. I have checked the bottom mamifold and the top assembly and can not find any cracks or breaks.
    I do not want to continue replacing parts that may not need to be replaced.
    Any ideas?????
    kperkins
    7200 gal.
    Above Ground
    Vinyl Liner

2. Back To Top    #2
    I have nothing to offer except a big 'welcome to TFP'!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Does your filter pressure read normally, ie what you are used to seeing? Usually freeze damage causes obvious leaks, but there are still quite a few other possibilities. The main valve might have been damaged and could be allowing water to go around the filter.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Does your filter pressure read normally, ie what you are used to seeing? Usually freeze damage causes obvious leaks, but there are still quite a few other possibilities. The main valve might have been damaged and could be allowing water to go around the filter.
    No visible exterior leaks. Pressure reads at 18 psi which appears to be normal for a clean set of cartidges. No valves on return side since there is no spa or return line control.
    kperkins
    7200 gal.
    Above Ground
    Vinyl Liner

5. Back To Top    #5
    I had dirt coming out of my jets when I vacuumed and found that the manifold was not sitting properly in the return hole, so I was just moving dirty water around for about a 2 weeks. My water got pretty cloudy and fixing this cleared it up in a day.
    24000 Gal, 18x36 Vinyl
    Hayward Super Pump
    Jacuzzi Tri Clops Cartridge Filter
    Heat Siphon Heat Pump

6. Back To Top    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by buddywiser
    I had dirt coming out of my jets when I vacuumed and found that the manifold was not sitting properly in the return hole, so I was just moving dirty water around for about a 2 weeks. My water got pretty cloudy and fixing this cleared it up in a day.

Thanks, I will check that out.
    Steve
    kperkins
    7200 gal.
    Above Ground
    Vinyl Liner