Slow construction

Waterfan

Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2018
Chattanooga, TN
Our pool has been under construction for about 6 months. Our contract does not have an ETA and we cannot get the contractor to give us one. It is a 18x36 gunite with hot tub. We did have a fairly cold winter that caused some legitimate delays but all progress is really slow still. They work about 1 day every 2 weeks on it (assume they are working at other places instead). Has anyone else had these issues? I am getting vey depressed over the whole thing now that it is 90 degrees here and my kids want to swim. How long has anyone's construction lasted and still worked out in the end? We knew other people with pools by this contractor so we thought we had done our homework. You cannot reason with the Company either and there is always some excuse - its all very frustrating.

I'm dealing with the same thing. My contractor has been here 1.5 days since spring started (6 weeks). I would have fired them 3 weeks ago if we were not in a combo pool/patio contract.

I'm going to get a little revenge. I'm going to hold their final payment for as many weeks as it takes them to start. And I'm going to post an honest review. The pool install went great. The patio has been a nightmare. They graded my patio towards the house. Now that has to be repaired also. The owner reads and tries to refute them.

I think, for me, the worst part is ignoring my texts and emails. That boils my blood [emoji35]

Our build has been slower than I like as well. The lion's share is on the subs but in the end I put that on the PB. I try and take solace in the fact that things will be done right the 1st time. We hope. We've heard from friend in building industry that all subs are slammed and trying to catch up. Weather was bad for a while but imo they should have caught up by now.

A year from now you'll worry more about if it's done correctly rather than quickly! Good luck with everything - we broke ground more than 2 months ago and are still waiting... totally understand!

Ours took a long time as well. We started the Friday before Labor Day last year and just opened/turned everything on this past weekend. Granted there wasn't any work done during the winter but we were originally told "three weeks" so it was a little frustrating. In the end, we were still able to open it when we wanted and the build quality appears to be excellent. The only harm caused by the delay is we ran out of time in the fall to get our yard repaired.

I am in the same boat. Signed our contract in January. Was told construction would start mid February with completion end of April/Beginning of May. They finally came out March 20th, to pre grade the yard and then didn't come back for another month. They dug our pool and then let the walls collapse because they didn't rebar/shoot the pool for another 3 weeks. So we are 5 almost 6 months into the project and we have a shell. Still need plumbing, tile, decking ect. They basically have you over a barrel once you give them the first few payments. You will never re coop that money and another PB won't touch the job. I've decided that it is what it is and will get done eventually. It is a sad way to have to look at such an exciting adventure but I cannot lose anymore energy over it.

I am in the same boat. Signed our contract in January. Was told construction would start mid February with completion end of April/Beginning of May. They finally came out March 20th, to pre grade the yard and then didn't come back for another month. They dug our pool and then let the walls collapse because they didn't rebar/shoot the pool for another 3 weeks. So we are 5 almost 6 months into the project and we have a shell. Still need plumbing, tile, decking ect. They basically have you over a barrel once you give them the first few payments. You will never re coop that money and another PB won't touch the job. I've decided that it is what it is and will get done eventually. It is a sad way to have to look at such an exciting adventure but I cannot lose anymore energy over it.
I feel the same way

Thank you all for your stories. We were pressured into signing in December so we could beat the summer rush. We have been to an attorney but I know any action on that front will stop all progress. I did find out that the contractor has many, many open lawsuits against them. I urge everyone to look up their contractors in their local court system database. Apparently nobody posts bad reviews to BBB, yelp or other places when they are all just trying to make the best of a bad situation like we are.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pool, Patio, fence, irrigation, and sod are all complete.

We are 99% done.

We are waiting on pentair to ship our damaged magic bowls back to us.

And we are waiting for the spa company to come fix the spa. Once the repair is complete, I can finish my privacy fence.

I have to take updated pics as now we have sod down and rocks on the left side of the pool
ca1039289ea49d67c4cd0909f7d2e4a6.jpg
4d8b257f8176fcb204f0945ecbbfddbd.jpg
616bc52b724f525545c6272737fb5ebb.jpg
bdf3671272a05e3b81dfc26d15182449.jpg
86da11fc860f2ddbea8174459590003c.jpg
8e326cafb80063116e045b4d8a4f0df6.jpg
1c2f1bb62e98fc1497e4a925024004bc.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.