Oh Crud! Really Tired BOO BOO!

Jul 2, 2009
Southern Virginia
I was REALLY tired and using the pool calculator this morning. I inputed my numbers and then went out and added all but 16oz of my trichlor...yeah...16oz!!! Shouldn't have to use even CLOSE to 16oz of trichlor in MY SIZE POOL! I added 48oz of trichlor to my Dang pool!!!! Once I realized what I did...used the bleach number instead of the trichlor number...I stopped, hooked up the backwash hose and backwashed for about 5 minutes. I could see the money, I mean crystals flowing out of the sight glass. But I am SURE I did not get 48ozs of that Crud out of my filter because I was lazily adding it to the skimmer. OMG. I was only supposed to add 4.6oz after that horrendous storm brought my FC down to 0. I am so upset. I don't even know what is going to happen to my perfect numbers!! Any ideas? My number BEFORE my awful mess up...

FC 0
CC 0
TC 0
pH 7.6
CYA 65
TA 100
CH (we don't test it around here.)

When I inputed into the calc what 48oz of trichlor did it said it would lower my pH 3.32 pts!!!! NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Yes, I was adding Trichlor. From Home Depot it is called SHOCK and contains mainly trichlor blah blah blah. I added just under 48ozs but backwashed as soon as I realized I used the wrong numbers for the wrong stuff! Anyway, after a LONG nap and adding water here are my readings...

FC 26 :shock:
CC 0
TC 26
pH 7.2 :twisted:
TA Can't get a reading. It turns blue instead of red at about 80 so I will assume 80??

Now, I must explain WHY I use trichlor -vs- bleach to shock...we get really heavy rain really often around hurricane season and to have to bleach so much would cost me way more in the long run. I LOVE using bleach, don't get me wrong, but it gets costly when I have to shock after a storm like we just had and we've had 3 in the past 2 weeks that have brought my FC to 0...probably less. My CC's have NEVER gone above 0 and my pH has sat at 7.6-7.8 using this method until NOW. So, yes, I use trichlor to shock but do NOT go to the pool store!!! I'm not too inexperienced in the chlorine area when it comes to pools except when I am SUPER tired and misread numbers. Pretty sure I won't do this again. :hammer: :grrrr:

Just out of curiosity, why do you have to shock after a storm? I get storms almost everyday here in Tampa, many are very severe and up to 3 inches of rain in an hour! I have not shocked my pool at all. I just do the standard thing. Check my numbers at night, adjust to the target numbers if needed and go to bed. I don't think you really need to shock unless you have obvious algae or CC's >.5.
Even after days with rain all day long, I have yet to have my FC level drop to 0.

After converting to bleach, during a storm, our FC drops to 0, period. The past two storms have flooded us big time, dumping a foot of rain in an hour with it raining like that for 2-3 hours or more. They are usually freak storms too. Yesterday's storm was a result of the off shore hurricane Bill. We JUST converted too so maybe that is the prob. (July conversion) Although we have always had to shock after a really big storm. Rather, our FC has always dropped to 0 after a big storm and I have always brought it back up to over the recommended 5 or 6. I guess I should stop saying "shock".

Ok, big difference. I thought you were bringing your FC up to shock level. You are just bringing it to your target level. Gotcha.
I'm with you on the flooding storms, we have certainly seen our share on the Gulf coast here. Still haven't seen a 0 on the FC though. Guess I've been lucky.
I go to the pool store for my chlorine only. It is cheaper that way and I get 10.5% instead of 6%. $4.50 for 2.5 gallons. Takes 2 cups to increase 1 ppm.

After another flush to waste for 10 minutes and refill, then filter overnight here are my "new" numbers

FC 16.5
CC 0
TC 16.5
pH 7.3
TA 100
CYA Who knows! I ran out of testing agent and my reorder isn't here yet. It should be here sometime this week.

It's going to be warm again today so hopefully I will lose some more FC! The kids haven't wanted to swim alllll weekend and today they do. Figures. At least the water is crystal clear! HAHA!

Numbers after a hot day...

FC Stopped at 13 since I ran out of R0871 but it looked like it only needed one more drip so 27 drops would make it 13.5
CC should still be 0
TC should still be same as FC
TA forgot to test
pH 7.5
CYA 85 (got my kit this morning! WOOP!)

We should be good in the morning with the rain coming tonight. At least I hope. I can't test though since I am out of R0871 and no one here has it. :( Tried to order it tonight but hit a snag since I JUST ordered my CYA so had to contact Durleigh. Hopefully it gets fixed fast and I can get my stuff ordered and shipped out quick.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I haven't added a THING since my boo boo and probably will just skip using trichlor ever again since it really sucks when you mess up as bad as I did. :hammer:

And I normally do not keep my CYA at 85. We lose a lot of water with all the kiddos in the pool so I am hoping that 85 goes back down to a cool 65 eventually so I can keep my FC between 6 and 7. A mom can hope, right?!

After a nice 2hr downpour last night, I woke up to my refills in the mail! WOO HOO! I got to test my FC and here are my numbers :mrgreen:

FC 4
CC 0
TC 4
pH 7.8
TA 110
CYA 85 :rant:

I added 2 cups of bleach afterwards and this is the first thing I have added to my pool since my boo boo on the 23rd. I have been making the kids swim even if they don't want to and even had the dog in there to eat up that chlorine! Glad that stuff is down as we have a pool party tomorrow IF TS Danny (who makes up these names? :scratch: ) takes my warning to him seriously! Here's to hoping and praying the weather allows us to have a nice and happy Star Wars pool party! :party:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.