cloudy pool

Aug 21, 2009
Hello...I'm new to the site and new to pool maintenance.

I have an inground pool 18x36 Vinyl, 26,000 gallons. In 2 days the pool water went from clear to cloudy (walls were slimey and I could barely see the bottom 8 ft down) yesterday I added 3 lbs of shock, 4 lbs of Borax and scrubbed the walls, today I added another 2 lbs of shock.

The water seems to be clearing up. Levels are as follows: PH 7.6, TA 120, FC about 3ppm up from about .5 this morning, CA 40, total hardness about 125.

I am aware that I need to get a comprehensive test kit. The cheap test kit I have shows a chlorine level between 5 and 6. Am I correct in understanding that an acceptible shock level should be somewhere between 16 and 18ppm of FC based on a CYA of 40?

How much shock or bleach do I need to add to get it to that level and is it necessary?.

I was told from a local pool store that 3 lbs of shock would be enough to remedy the problem but the FC is nowhere near that. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stu

Hi Stu and welcome. :wave:

You really should use liquid chlorine or bleach to shock, because it doesn't have any unwanted additives that the granular shock products have.

If you read Pool School, there are several articles that can help you. One compares the test kits we recommend. Another tells you How to Shock your Pool, and how to Defeat Algae. There is also an article that teaches you how to use the Pool Calculator, which can help you determine exactly how much of each chemical you need to add, and when. So if you read those articles and learn to use the Pool Calculator, you can figure out how much bleach you need.

Yes, it is necessary for you to shock, and your shock level is 16. You should stock up on bleach. :wink: chlorine is consumed by the algae as you add it. So you need to keep adding it until the water clears and the algae is dead. As you first start shocking, you will see the chlorine being rapidly consumed, so keep adding it. These issues are detailed in the articles in pool school.

Good luck and post back here if you need further clarification. :wink:

Thank you. I've read and learned a lot. I stocked up on the Bleach yesterday. I added another 265 oz of bleach today in the late afternoon but the water was crystal clear by early this morning. I never brought the FC above 6. I failed to mention that I also have a Nature 2 Pro G Plus mineral sanitizer that supposedly only requires FC at .5ppm. Do you think it's still necessary to bring the water to shock level with the sanitizer or should I just keep a close eye on it.

Thanks

Stu

frustratedpoolmom said:
Hi Stu and welcome. :wave:

You really should use liquid chlorine or bleach to shock, because it doesn't have any unwanted additives that the granular shock products have.

If you read Pool School, there are several articles that can help you. One compares the test kits we recommend. Another tells you How to Shock your Pool, and how to Defeat Algae. There is also an article that teaches you how to use the Pool Calculator, which can help you determine exactly how much of each chemical you need to add, and when. So if you read those articles and learn to use the Pool Calculator, you can figure out how much bleach you need.

Yes, it is necessary for you to shock, and your shock level is 16. You should stock up on bleach. :wink: chlorine is consumed by the algae as you add it. So you need to keep adding it until the water clears and the algae is dead. As you first start shocking, you will see the chlorine being rapidly consumed, so keep adding it. These issues are detailed in the articles in pool school.

Good luck and post back here if you need further clarification. :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.