Hello...I'm new to the site and new to pool maintenance.
I have an inground pool 18x36 Vinyl, 26,000 gallons. In 2 days the pool water went from clear to cloudy (walls were slimey and I could barely see the bottom 8 ft down) yesterday I added 3 lbs of shock, 4 lbs of Borax and scrubbed the walls, today I added another 2 lbs of shock.
The water seems to be clearing up. Levels are as follows: PH 7.6, TA 120, FC about 3ppm up from about .5 this morning, CA 40, total hardness about 125.
I am aware that I need to get a comprehensive test kit. The cheap test kit I have shows a chlorine level between 5 and 6. Am I correct in understanding that an acceptible shock level should be somewhere between 16 and 18ppm of FC based on a CYA of 40?
How much shock or bleach do I need to add to get it to that level and is it necessary?.
I was told from a local pool store that 3 lbs of shock would be enough to remedy the problem but the FC is nowhere near that. Any guidance would be appreciated.