Deck ladder

Jun 10, 2007
Long Island, NY
I am considering adding a deck around my agp. But before I do I want to have a complete plan. I am fine with the deck design but its the entry ladder I am wondering about. I would like to have an entry ladder similar to the type at the deep end of an igp. Am I just dreaming or is there something out there I can use? I have attached a pic of an example of what I am referring to. Some pictures of examples would be great.

Do you have an a-frame ladder now? My intex pool came with one, and looking at it, it seems really simple to just remove one of the sides and mount it directly to the deck. This is one of those blue and white ones with a blue plastic "deck/step" on the top.

Could you do something like that with the current ladder?

Or, if you're building your own deck, there's probably a way to mount one of the IG types and secure it so it wouldn't put too much pressure on the side wall. I'm thinking some sort of cantilever so that the force would be on the deck surface, not on the bottom of the ladder where it would normally connect to the pool wall.

The ladders I have seen and have in my pool are not connected to the pool wall. If you look at the picture to start this thread the bottom has rubber bumpers to keep it from marring the wall. The top is the only place connected.

Terry

notvaporlocked said:
The ladders I have seen and have in my pool are not connected to the pool wall. If you look at the picture to start this thread the bottom has rubber bumpers to keep it from marring the wall. The top is the only place connected.

Terry

But, doesn't the force on those bottom points get concentrated right against the pool wall? You would think that could possibly dent or worse the steel wall of an AGP, no? I was describing something were you created a brace at the deck level so the force is applied there more and minimized at the lower feet.

The questions you guys raised is the exact reason I started this thread.

I do currently have an A-frame type ladder but plan on building a deck next year. I plan on steps up to the deck from the ground and was hoping for an inground style ladder to go from the deck into the pool.

Macrosill said:
The questions you guys raised is the exact reason I started this thread.

I do currently have an A-frame type ladder but plan on building a deck next year. I plan on steps up to the deck from the ground and was hoping for an inground style ladder to go from the deck into the pool.

It just occurred to me that you could use the deck itself to solve the problem. When you build the deck, you could run a support at the point where the lower ladder feet would hit. If you just ran a horizontal 2x6 across, then met the side of the pool with some built up 2x4's or similar, then the side of the pool would simply be sandwiched between the legs of the ladder, and the deck.

It wouldn't be that hard to do, the hardest part would just be getting the build up right so you meet up correctly. If you've got an old piece of carpet or something, put that on the outside side to protect the surface of the pool.

Heck, I hadn't even considered doing this, but I think I might now. I did a little mockup of what it might look like.

[attachment=0:5hyw8nnr]pool_ladder.gif[/attachment:5hyw8nnr]

Attachments

• pool_ladder.gif
    pool_ladder.gif
    3 KB · Views: 303
I would be surprised if the relatively small amount of pressure from the lower "bumpers" would do any damage to any surface if the upper mounts were put in correctly. On my ladder which is exactly like the one in the first post, the upper mounts carry the bulk of the load. Even with the leverage created when a person uses the ladder the force on each bumper is pretty small when compared to what it would take to dent a steel surface.

Terry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.