Vacation prep??

bobmac

Aug 11, 2009
Just got my pool up a two weeks ago and the BBB method is going great. I'll be going away for 9 days.... What should I do about the pool? Is there a pre-vacation treatment that I should apply to reduce problems?

Details:
12X24 AG (7700 gal)
sand filter
pH 7.5
TA 80
FC 3-4
CYA 40

There are two possibilities you can do that I have seen discussed here ...

1) Ask someone (neighbor or friend) to watch the pool and add chemicals as needed while you are away.

2)If you have a pool cover, you can raise your FC to shock level or a little bit higher right before you leave,put the cover on and hope for the best. Since you know how to care for your pool, if you do get and algae bloom while your away you can get it back under control in no time.

3) Put two 3" trichlor pucks in a floater. In my pool they last > 1 week. For occasional vacation use the extra CYA isn't worth worrying about.

If you go with #1, I wouldn't put them through a test training routine (unless they also own a pool), just tell them add this many cups of bleach every day (or every other day, or whatever).
--paulr

I've done as Tiz suggested.

Three annual 9,10, and 11 days. Each time I shocked, and covered. Left pump running. Came home each time to a FC residual. The cover is what makes the difference, this last June I only lost 50% of my FC in 10 days - the dark blue cover reall cuts down on uv loss.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.