Leak, cracks, ughhhh. What to do next?

Mar 26, 2008
Houston
Ok, so this story has been going on for some time...

I noticed my pool leaking a couple of months ago. It was hot, but the bucket test showed me it was definitely not evaporation. I was about to have someone come out to find the leak when I found a crack in the side. (I'm pretty sure my pool is a fiberglass - I didn't build it).

Well, I got some marine epoxy that sets up wet, and sealed up the crack nicely. Refilled to the pool - perfect. Ran nice for another week. Then more leaking. My original crack broke through the epoxy, and extended downwards. This cycle has repeated itself several times (including a second crack straight across from the original crack).

At this point, I feel exhausted. I'm tired of refilling and repairing when I clearly can't cure the root of the problem. Obviously the ground is shifting and bringing the pool with it. (It's been very dry this year in Texas).

Anyway - what do I do now? Obviously this needs to be fixed. Do I need a whole new pool? (ridiculous). Can this possible be 'repaired'? Should I fill it in? (how much does that cost?) I don't even know who to call - This is beyond the scope of a pool maintenance co. and a pool builder will probably tell me, "yeah, it's screwed. When do you want to start building a new one?"

Anyone even know where to start here?

Sorry you are having this problem! :twisted:

Something has happened to compromise your pool :pukel:

I do not know the companies that are able to recoat your pool, but they are out there. However, if the problem is still worsening, there is a problem with the ground around the pool and any fix done now may well be wasted money :evil:

How old is the pool? - I'm thinking it's 'newish' and you might be able to 'bully' the builder into some concessions.

Fiberglass pools aren't my area of expertize, but I hope this helps :)

Yeah, I think the pool is being 'compromised' as well. Pool is pretty old. Definitely no builder to bully. No idea who even built it.

Any idea in what's involved in filling it in? Or cost? Would it be hyper-expensive to replace it with a gunite pool or something? I mean, there's already an equipment pad, plumbing and a hole in the ground...

If you're at the point where you're thinking of filling it in and starting over - installing a vinyl liner may be your least expensive option :wink: There would be some work and measuring to make the change, but it beats starting from scratch :cool:

Let us know what you're thinking about doing to the pool :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.