spa jets and plumbing

IMason

Sep 23, 2016
Clayton/CA
Apologies in advance for my completely clueless questions.
We are in the second year of our pool and I didn't have the foresight to label all the plumbing for our pool. I'm acutely aware of it now as I am trying to figure out my integrated spa. We didn't use it much last year so I wasn't paying attention.

My first concern is that when I turn my spa on I don't get the bubbly water that I would hope to get through the jets. I'm assuming this is because I don't have enough pressure/water returning into the spa (and this perhaps where knowledge of the plumbing kicks in) or perhaps I have the wrong jet returns (they are the eyeball ones). I see movement on the surface of the water but not the lovely bubbling effect.

I have attached picture of my equipment pad to also gain some insight (and so that I can properly label it). I have a general knowledge of the pipes that bring water from the pool into the pump then onto the filter, salt water generator and then back to the return pipes.

Perhaps of note, when I go between spa and pool modes, the Jandy "handles" move on their own I presume diverting water away from whichever you are not using?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_3304.jpg

While I still have some questions about my plumbing I figured out the spa jet issue. I blew air into the air intake pipe and got it going!!! I think I have to snake it because when I tried to turn it on again it went back to weak jets. I think there is something in the pipe that is intermittently blocking it. Hooray!

Try taking all of the jet eyeballs/return fittings out, (the recessed ones at the wall) they usually help jet action dramatically, pebble tec crews will install them after there done, on all pool & spa wall return lines, even water fill line.
Spas have better jet action when there removed, try it.

I don't recommend using a snake.
Your pvc airline should be capped off, and a slit cut across pipe to provide an opening for air, this prevents objects from being dropped down pipe.

You should notice air noise in air pipe, and air and water mix from all jets, creating the therapeutic effect in all jets, it is the air that makes a jet a jet

Also, how did you blow air into the line, and were all jets on after you did this?

Try as i suggested and remove 1 or 2 eyeballs first and see if that does anything on those jets, then if it helps or improves jet action, then remove the others.

You might be surprised by what simply removing them will do

I used a shopvac to blow air into the air intake pipe and all the jets worked well. I could also feel suction from the air pipe as it was sucking in air. the thing is, it works for that time that we have the spa on but when I turn on the spa the next day, back to the same old thing. super frustrating. our air intake is open but is turned downward I guess to prevent things falling in it. I'm not sure how I can pop off the eyeballs. they seem pretty stuck on. i feel like i will be getting a blower now. it doesn't seem right but i don't know what else to do. i am worried about calling in a pool technitian as i'm not sure how much that will cost.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.