Wood and Block pool

morrodds

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2009
Leona Valley, CA
Greetings,

In 2002 we set up an AG rectangular pool on the South slope in front of our house. A 3' high block wall was built into the slope to make a flat area 15 X 34. Later a composite deck around 2 and a half sides. Here's what it looked like the week before Christmas. Note my sons bare footprints.
oldpoolsnow.jpg

The pool had its problems and required replacement. I studied various options and designed a pool to fit the existing deck and walls. Plans and books were purchased from DEB Design, Homebuilt Pools and Sunland Owner-built pools. I also investigated a Vanishing edge pool - beyond me, I decided. The final design uses pressure treated (PT) wood framing 4' high along the South and West walls. The Other walls were extended 1' above the block and all 4 walls were covered with 1/2" PT plywood.

Here's the old pool and other mess before demo.
oldpool2.jpg

Here's a view of the South wall posts being set in concrete. PT 4x4s 6 feet long are set in 2' of concrete with a 34' 12"X12" bond beam connecting them. The initial deep end hole is seen here also.
concreteandposts.jpg

The West and North walls are shown before the vertical extension and end wall framing are finished. Note the South wall posts.
pitwest.jpg

Here is the East wall with extension framing and skimmer hole, Some of the framing for the South wall is in.
piteast.jpg

The wall framing is complete with the plywood sheathing. SS screws used throughout. PT wood is rated for contact with soil.
woodesat.jpg

Here's the West view with returns and vacuum port visible. The Solar cover will reside under the far deck and an extension to the left. 46" shallow - 6'6" deep end.
woodwest.jpg

Last Saturday the perlite/concrete bottom was placed. White foam on the walls. 2X8s with beveled edges in the corners. Note the composite decking on the pool walls.
perliteandfoam.jpg

Liner in and filling with water - Saturday afternoon.
linerfilling.jpg

Sunday - full of water and a happy kid. :party:
Pool1.jpg

The concrete was poured on July 3rd and liner placed August 15th. Weekends and evenings well spent. Soon I'll be able to stand up straight again :wink: I contracted the concrete work - everything else was on me. Two ladders, one on each end of the pool will go in tomorrow.

Thanx to all for your help and suggestions on the chemistry.

Regards, Martin

Very nice work. I also ordered the DEB design book. While I built something quite different than their suggestions, it gave me food for thought.

Like you, I probably continue to walk a little humped over from the physical work :lol: but, unlike you, it took me almost 3 years to complete my whole project. You had a good plan and worked it well.

Nice looking pool.

Thanx for compliments. :)

Buggs - This one was interesting since I wanted to blend it into the existing deck and retaining walls, hence the hybrid design.

Dave S. - I used the DEB book for the wood wall, HOMEBUILT Pools book addressed the block walls, later I stumbled across the SunLand book which addresses both. Your pool is a MONSTER and beautiful! I especially like the curved corners and steps. You must have alot of friends to be able to fill it with bodies.

Thanx again, Martin

Martin,

As I was learning, I really wanted to use the PT plywood walls but I was afraid I couldn't get them smooth and even enough for the 1/4" foam to take out all the bumps.

How did you go about keeping all the edges and joints even? Did you fill in with any "spackle" (for lack of a better description) type material?

How far apart are the up-rights?

Are they braced in-between with extra structure or was the plywood sufficient.

Thank you for the nice words on my pool.

Your pool build is awesome! Congratulations! I will be a hump back in a couple short years when I attempt to do my inground pool build pretty much on my own! :shock: :cool: :mrgreen:

Dave,

The uprights are on 4' spacing. They are faced with 2X6s laid flat against them:
Southwallexterior.jpg

The plywood was screwed to them with 2" SS screws on ~1' spacing. The butt joints were sealed with Gorilla tape before the foam was applied. No 'spackle' - one builder used Bond-O in the defects. The pattern on the vinyl hides a multitude of sins. Actually I don't see surface imperfections. The most noticeable defect is the warped 2X8s on the top cap.

The plywood was extended down over the block. Seemed easier and quicker than trying to smooth it all. I was careful to line up the framing so laying the plywood went pretty slick. I used a vertical receiver butted against the composite decking with a urethane caulk and galv. screws - this covered any other irregularities.

Casey - thanx and good luck on your future project.

Later, Martin

Great Pool! It inspired me to build one similar and I'm midway through it right now. I hope to complete it in the next couple of weeks- Finally! Due to a flat rural site none of mine is below grade. I used wood framing on all four sides with #1 railroad ties at 8 feet O.C. for posts set in concrete in augured holes, treated 2x6 horizontals (spacing varies with pool depth) between the ties with galvanized connectors, AWWF ply for the walls, and a flat 2x6 at the top for added depth and stiffness. It will be capped off with a wood deck that laps the edge about an inch and transitions to a deck on two sides. The slide is already up and the solar panels will go on the south side on sloped supports tied to the pool posts. I expect it will last as long as I do. Thanks for the inspiration and great pictures.

I am so glad to hear of some wood framed pools. I would love to see some pics and details of how your pool was built. We are wanting to build a 16x32 to 20x40 in the next few weeks and could really use some insight--and eyesight about what you have done. There is so little else available. I am also curious where you bought your plywood--can't seem to find anything but typical warped pressure treated here in Dallas area. Also how did you do 8 ft. spacing between railroad ties--wasn't that too far between 2x6--hope not as it would be cheaper. Last question is you stated the spacing between 2x6 varied with pool depth. I don't understand. It sounds like your site was level, and I assume you put the horizontal 2x6's horizontal, so didn't catch what you meant by depth. I would be so grateful for any insight, and pics of your pool. Thanks

Great Pool! It inspired me to build one similar and I'm midway through it right now. I hope to complete it in the next couple of weeks- Finally! Due to a flat rural site none of mine is below grade. I used wood framing on all four sides with #1 railroad ties at 8 feet O.C. for posts set in concrete in augured holes, treated 2x6 horizontals (spacing varies with pool depth) between the ties with galvanized connectors, AWWF ply for the walls, and a flat 2x6 at the top for added depth and stiffness. It will be capped off with a wood deck that laps the edge about an inch and transitions to a deck on two sides. The slide is already up and the solar panels will go on the south side on sloped supports tied to the pool posts. I expect it will last as long as I do. Thanks for the inspiration and great pictures.

Milescity, do you have a build thread? I find these wood framed pool builds interesting!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.