Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What were you doing before TFP?

1. Back To Top    #1

What were you doing before TFP?

Iím relatively new to pools and this board and I was just wondering what everyone was doing to maintain their pool before the advent of TFP? I assume the majority were using a pool service?
    IG fiberglass 16X36. 14,600 gal. Heyward Pro Series S270T sand filter, Hayward Super pump 1.5 hp, Aquarite T-3 SWG, and Hayward H200FD propane heater. Two Treo LED lights by SR Smith. Two returns, one skimmer. Tftestkit TF-100 water kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What were you doing before TFP?

Google was my friend. Started from day one.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Same as Woody. When I purchased a house with a pool I began a web search. Here I am.....

Somewhere I missed the Pool School article on poolside libations because I don't have a Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub..... But, I do have radio Margaritaville on my XM radio!

But, all jest aside we pick up several thousand new members here each year. I have never kept track, but I feel the vast majority were Saturday morning pool store owners. They would take a sample to the pool store every Saturday morning and buy what was suggested, go home dump it in the pool and hope it worked. many times it does for a while. When it doesn't, Google sends them here. Google almost anything pool related and they will suggest Amazon first (they have deep pockets) and TFP within the next few results. Why, thousands of folks who clean up their pool with our help.
    TFP Moderator

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

Support the site

4. Back To Top    #4

Somewhere I missed the Pool School article on poolside libations because I don't have a Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub..... But, I do have radio Margaritaville on my XM radio!
    Jimmy still has hope!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Jimmy still has hope!
    I have given him a Prince's ransom in concert tickets. This year is the pits because I have a trip planned for every concert within a reasonable distance.....
    TFP Moderator

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

Support the site

6. Back To Top    #6

Yep before I built a pool found TFP never did anything else.

All hail the Google overload.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

7. Back To Top    #7

pool guy (2 months) wasted about $200, then Leslies (about 7 months) wasted well over $1000, then here. To note I joined here almost right after I bought my home/pool in September (even bought a Taylor kit) but I didn't listen until June (drained my 200+ CYA water and started testing). It's been coasting ever since...
    -Tim-
    Pool: 86 gunite/plaster screened IG 12K 14' X 29', Hayward 120 sq ft cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, Hayward SwimPure 40K SWCG, Hayward Poolvergnuegen autovac,
    Heat: 280 sq ft Ultrasun solar Panels, Pentair Solartouch Ctrl, (solar cover and reel)
    Tests: Taylor K-2006C & K-1766 w/ speedstir

8. Back To Top    #8

^ What he said...

(We did have the rental house we lived in the first year here that we saw what they did. Dump in two gallons of liquid chlorine every other week. Bleached out suits. Saw cloudy water, a beautiful, albeit not welcomed, sudden green one day.)
    8K gal IG Fiberglass (San Juan Waikiki I)
    TF-100 Testing Kit
    Hayward Max-Flo VS Pump
    Hayward Star Clear Plus Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Model 320 Automatic Chlorine/Bromine In-Line Feeder

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Before TFP I didn't have a pool...been with TFP since before dig date!
    Cliff, IG, 22K gal, Pentair WF 2HP 2 Speed Pump, Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE Filter, Hayward PL Plus Pool Management, SWG T Cell-15, 2 LED Hayward Color Logic 4.0 Lights, Water Features, Diamond Brite Black Onyx pool finish, TF-100 Test Kit, PoolMath App, Dolphin S200 Robot (Phin). Northlake, TX New Pool Build
    I support TFP Forums ♥ Has the info saved you $? You can support too!

10. Back To Top    #10

I maintained myself and after 2 years of powders and pucks I had sky high CYA! I found TFP when a kid at the local pool store recommended baking soda to raise my TA. I didn't take his word for it and googled it and I've been here ever since!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Pool store testing and it ruined my last pool Husband wanted a new pool.........said okay IF you can find a way for me to keep it up without going to the pool store. He found TFP and I have been here every since!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Nothing, a friend recommended TFP when we bought our house before we opened the pool.
    -Emily

IG plaster pool, approx 12-15K gallons, Pentair IC40 SWCG, sand filter Pentair Triton II 325 lbs 24" 3.14 ft2, Sta-Rite Max -E-Pro pump, booster pump - Pentair LS-MS05, Polaris 380 vacuum, TF-100 Test Kit and K-1766 Salt test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Had a 12'x30" the first two years I never put clorine in, never! I was using arm and Hammer clear balence tabs(probably baking soda) and thought they were clorine, test strips never worked right buy hey it was clear.

First year I took it down, second I left it up and the start of the 3rd year it was a green mess. I used a ton of Cal hypo to clean it up and some pool tonic (phosfree and clarifier) then back to no maintenance till the end if the year it built up hard water spots and went green. Cleaned it and sold it for $60.

I was looking how to level my new to me 24' x 52" and came across posts here and how pucks were bad, had to find out why.

Pic of my green pool

Casey
    Intex 24' x 52" closed for winter 2018, 2 Main Drains, 1 Skimmer, 1 Return, PVC
    1/2 HP Intex Pump 633T w/ Taeglus TA-40 175 lb 19.5" Sand Filter, Auqabot Extreme Robot
    TF-50 and Taylor 2006 Test Kits, Quality Well Water, Fleck 5800SXT Water Softener

14. Back To Top    #14

I was bleaching out my liner with shock and started googling to figure out why it was still green. Led me here!
    16' by 4' Intex Ultra Frame AGP
    Intex Sand Filter Pump & SWG
    Hayward Skimmer, Intex Auto Cleaner
    TF-100 & Speedstir

15. Back To Top    #15

Same, I started before our pool was built.
    Pool Build (2017) ~24k Gal IG Vinyl 18x36 Lazy L Pool
    Equipment: Hayward 1.85HP TriStar VS pump, C3030 SwimClear cartridge filter, AquaPlus PL-Plus SWG w/T-CELL-15, ColorLogic LED Light, TF-100 w/Speed Stir, Taylor K-1766

16. Back To Top    #16

Pool builder confused the heck out of me with a 15 minute walk thru on chemicals & equipment after they started it up. I used the pucks they left behind for a couple weeks before jumping online to find out how everything really works.
    25k IG / Plaster / Built Jul'16 / Spa with Spillway into Pool / Originally filled with trucked in city water, maintaining level with rain water / Polaris 280 Sweep / Jandy Pro Series EPump a& CV 580 Cartridge Filter / Aquacal Heat Pump / AquaLink Control Panel w/PDA / TF-100 Test Kit / 2 Yellow Labs swimmin' all the time

17. Back To Top    #17

What were you doing before TFP?
    This...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~Rob
    11,000 gallon in ground plaster pebbletech finish. Hayward Tristar VS, Hayward Swimclear, and Hayward Aquanaut 200 pool vac, K-2006 Kit, Speedstir.
    FC/CYA Chart-Finding a suction side air leak>https://youtu.be/eweIDTnJCUw

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Arizonarob View Post
    This...
    Ha!!
    IG fiberglass 16X36. 14,600 gal. Heyward Pro Series S270T sand filter, Hayward Super pump 1.5 hp, Aquarite T-3 SWG, and Hayward H200FD propane heater. Two Treo LED lights by SR Smith. Two returns, one skimmer. Tftestkit TF-100 water kit.

19. Back To Top    #19

Lucky i became a homeowner, when TFP was alive. If it was before, I would be completely lost. But I wonder what people did even before the internet became mainstream!
    Purex Titron FNS DE Filter 25000 gallons approx.
    Century A.O. Smith B855 56Y 2HP Motor. 40x25 (approx). Plaster surface.
    TFT-100 Test Kit.
    Rainbow Lifeguard 320.
    DX5+S Cleaner.

20. Back To Top    #20
    Kansas, No yellow brick Road, But we have a SPARKLY BLUE POOL!

First pool owned as an adult (hahaha) Playing yo-yo with water balances.
    Honestly, 2 months in (a TINY pool), not having $$ to blow, drove me to google "affordable pool care", found TFP and will forever use it!
    Quick Links for TFP Info: Pool Water Chemistry ~ PoolMath ~ FC/CYA Chart ~ SLAM
    Ours: AGP 2500gal 15' x 33" (@24") w/Intex 0.5hp(2100GPH) Pump & 12" Sand Filter w/Hydrotools Skimmer
    Test Kits = Speedstir + Drops 5-way + FAS-DPD + CYA
    I support TFP Forums ♥ Has the info saved you $? You can support too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast