Stubborn Algae problem/Conversion has Begun

2:30 PM

FC 6 added 1.4 jugs of bleach

Can not see the bottom at all now. All kinds of white scum and orangish looking film on the surface and in the skimmer.

4:30
FC 7.5 added 1.2 jugs of bleach

two pics of pool after 14 doses and 29.3 jugs of bleach

IMGA0189.jpg

IMGA0190.jpg

6:30 PM FC 6 added 1.4 jugs bleach

7:30 PM FC 8.5 added 1 jug of bleach

I can start too see the bottom now and there is less scum on top, guess I am on the down hill side?

Last pics before dark. This is a little over 24 hours since conversion was started.

IMGA0192.jpg

IMGA0191.jpg

Okay, now I have a question. I have been doing this about every hour last night (five doses) and today (13 doses so far). How late should I keep this up and should I do it every hour tomorrow, or cut back on how often I put bleach in? How do I know when to slow down?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
last check tonight

10:30 PM FC 6 added 1.4 jugs of bleach

Going to bed, will resume in the morning. 15 doses today, 5 yesterday, 35.6 total jugs used, only 10.7 jugs remaining, will probably have to get more bleach tomorrow. I hope the Wal-Mart's have restocked since I bought out two of them. LOL

Day 3, Aug 26

7:30 AM FC 5.5 Added 1.5 jugs of bleach

I have a question. Just for the heck of it, I tried to check CC. Using the same sample that I had just checked for FC, (is that right or should I have used fresh sample) I put in the 5 drops in and the sample turned red, so I continued to add drops (about 40 more) and it never did get clear, it stayed very red. Am I doing something wrong?

Here are two pics from this morning. I can see the bottom pretty good now, but pool is still very green. No more white scum on the top though.

IMGA0193.jpg

IMGA0194.jpg

amoses said:
Just for the heck of it, I tried to check CC. Using the same sample that I had just checked for FC, (is that right or should I have used fresh sample) I put in the 5 drops in and the sample turned red, so I continued to add drops (about 40 more) and it never did get clear, it stayed very red. Am I doing something wrong?
Procedure sounds correct: after using the powder and R-0871 to test FC, use 5 drops R-0003 (in the same sample) to detect CC and more R-0871 to clear it. I don't usually follow baq conversions, I just happened to peek at this one, so I can't say whether a ridiculous level of CC is normal (but just based on what's going on in the water, I would assume it's normal).
--paulr

Okay, I see what I was doing wrong. I added the 5 drops of 003 and then, instead of switching back to 0871, I continued to use the 003. No wonder it never turned back clear. I wll go back to the 0871 drops next time. Should make a huge difference

830 AM FC 5 added 1.6 jugs of bleach (headed to the store to buy more - almost out)

overnight I only dropped to FC-5.5, but now it only took an hour to drop to 5. guess I still have a long way to go.

amoses said:
Okay, I see what I was doing wrong. I added the 5 drops of 003 and then, instead of switching back to 0871, I continued to use the 003. No wonder it never turned back clear. I wll go back to the 0871 drops next time. Should make a huge difference

Glad you resolved that mystery! (it did seem strange that your CC's might have been higher than 20) :wink:

Remember if it's sunny the sunlight is already destroying alot of the FC.

9:30 AM FC 6.5 Added 1.3 jugs of bleach

10:30 AM FC 6.0 Added 1.4 jugs of bleach

11:30 AM FC 7.0 Added 1.3 jugs of bleach

I have to be at the University this afternoon so this is my last test and add until tonight. This is 20 doses using a total of 42.6 jugs (182 oz jugs) of bleach. Do I look on track? I am picking up another 20 gallons of bleach this afternoon as I am almost out. Here are two pics of the pool now. you can definitely see the bottom now but still pretty green. If I need to change what I am doing then please say so.

IMGA0195.jpg

IMGA0196.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.