Stubborn Algae problem/Conversion has Begun

Hold off on that trip to Walmart. I think the high FC levels may be bleaching out the DPD test....rendering it useless.

I suggest you add no more bleach until you can test with the TF-100 or take a sample to a pool store and let them know it may have high levels of chlorine.

The DPD test bleaches out at only mildly high FC levels, so you need to take some care when high FC levels are suspected. On the other hand, FC can vanish almost instantly (as fast as it can mix into the water) when starting a baquacil conversion.

One way to double check is with an OTO test, which is very reliable at detecting chlorine vs no chlorine. Another approach is to use dilution with a chlorine free source of water (distilled water is popular). You dilute the sample with one part of pool water and three parts of chlorine free water, do the test with that, and then multiply the result by four. That lowers the precision dramatically, but it lets you test much higher FC levels with a DPD test.

Re: Stubborn Algae problem

amoses said:
9:30 PM

FC .5

Added 415 oz (2.3 Jugs)

I will test in 15 min, if it has not come up then I am headed for Wal-Mart to get Clorox and see if that makes a difference

Do the dillution test first, might be able to save a trip. Got any distilled water on hand? Spring water may be OK as well. Just not tap water.

I already went to Wal Mart and bought 2.3 jugs of Clorox.

At 10:30

FC .5 (still)

added 2.3 jugs of clorox and retested 15 minutes later and it still is only about .5 to 1

So..... It probably was not the bleach. May be the test kit or else the baq is eating it up. I do not have any distilled water.

duraleigh said:
Hold off on that trip to Walmart. I think the high FC levels may be bleaching out the DPD test....rendering it useless.

I suggest you add no more bleach until you can test with the TF-100 or take a sample to a pool store and let them know it may have high levels of chlorine.

Sorry dave... I did not see this post, I was actually on my way to Wal-Mart when you wrote it and I missed it in reading the other ones after I came back. I will wait for the test kit, or go to a pool store as you suggest. TF-100 may not get here tomorrow after all. Postal service says two days from there to here instead of 1, using express mail. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will still be one day.

If I am bleaching out the DPD test and do have a lot of excess bleach in the pool then did I cause myself a problem? I guess I should have waited, but I figured the Taylor equipment in the leslies kit would be good until the kit got here.

I did do the dilution test and the water came out clear.

Pool water looks pretty murky and nasty as best as I can tell with a flashlight, I can still see the bottom though.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Does your tap water have chlorine? Test that and see, maybe you can dilute with it.

What's this morning's test reveal?

I used our filtered water which is supposed to remove all cholrine when I did the dilution test. I tested it and the water remained clear - no chlorine. I tested our tap water and it showed traces of chlorine

7:30 AM
FC is between 0 an .5 adding 2.3 jugs of bleach.

Here are two pics of what the pool looks like this morning.

5-am1stmorn.jpg

6-am21stmorn.jpg

after I added the dose at 7:30 this morning I waited 10 to 15 min and my FC was between .5 and 1

This is what I am leaning towards thinking. The dilution test suggested that the DPD test is not bleached out. Adding the Chlorox that I went and purchased last night along with "frustratedpoolmom"saying that the labels showed my bleach to be okay would suggest that the bleach probably is not old. So.... I guess the Baq is just eating it up. What do you all think.

I can try and get the water tested at a pool store later this morning when they open.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also, I noticed that the longer that I let the Taylor drops sit in the pool sample, the more it changes color, indicating higher FC level. I have been reading it as soon as I put the drops in and mix. Does anyone have experience with that? does it take a minute or so for the Taylor drops to fully effect the water?

I have my return eye pointed 45 degrees to the right and down - is that correct?

frustratedpoolmom said:
Entirely possible :goodjob: When is your TF100 supposed to arrive?

I paid extra to have it shipped overnight so It would have been here today. But... I was reading the postal info on Express Mail and it indicated that it could take two day, so I might not get it till tomorrow. Not sure what to do if that is the case. Do you think I should keep trusting this talyor test? and should I read it immediately or let it set a minute and then read it?

Is my return eye position correct?

I think that if you read the other recent conversion, if I recall, 20 gallons of bleach in the first day? So, I suspect that your test is correct, the bleach is just being consumed that fast. If so, maybe today you will start registering some FC as it slowly begins to hold.

8:30 AM, Aug 25

FC .5 when read immediately and closer to 2 after letting sit for about a minute.

erring on the side of safety I am going with the 2 and am adding 372 oz, two jugs, of bleach.

I just called Great Value and they said the "09 225" means that it was made in 09 on the 225th day, which is August 13. So the bleach is not old. Whewwww, I feel better about that at least.

9:30 AM, Aug 25

FC 1 when reading immediately, 2-3 after sitting for a minute or two. (slowly creeping up)

using 2.5 I am adding 358 oz (about two jugs)

10:30 AM FC = 1-2 added 2 jugs bleach

11:30 AM FC = 2 added 2 jugs of bleach

12:30 PM FC = 1 added 2 jugs of bleach

I called the post Office and they said my package (my kit) may get there around 1:30 and they are going to hold it for me so I can go pick it up. I will check shortly.
Here are two pictures of the water and of the junk getting in the skimmer that I keep cleaning out. Does it look about right for 11 doses (about 24 jugs total)?

IMGA0186.jpg

IMGA0188.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.