Leslie's a good source?

Once you place the sock in the water assume the CYA is in the water.

Add the chlorine. You will want to check it a couple times a day to keep it at 3 ppm.

When you get the K2006 (did you order the C version? You will need more FAS-DPD reagents immediately if not) run a full set of tests.

We might want to start a new thread around your SLAM at that time. The title of this one is not reflective of what is now being discussed.

Take care.

Yes, I'm planning to. Water is super clear!:D (Hasn't been that way in years).
Another question: I have two 1lb bags of the "Leslie's Fresh 'n Clear" oxidizer (non-chlorine) shock. Should I EVER use those or disregard forever?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I'm planning to. Water is super clear!:D (Hasn't been that way in years).
Another question: I have two 1lb bags of the "Leslie's Fresh 'n Clear" oxidizer (non-chlorine) shock. Should I EVER use those or disregard forever?

The FC/CYA chart is crazy no wonder I was never able to keep chlorine present at 250 CYA :eek:

The Monopersulfate (non chlorine 'shock') is best not used in a pool. It will interfere with your CC testing for quite some time if added.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would think use TFPC method or stick to pool store stuff...not both!

While convenient to run to Leslie's, have water tested, walk out with products and move on your way, the methodology really does not work. Forget about if their testing is accurate or not, it is the idea that adding chemicals to your pool that are really not needed will cost you in the short and long term, let alone getting in your car, walking in, waiting for the testing and coming back home. Not every Leslie's is a bad place, but the idea of understanding your own pool over time is priceless. Testing your own water with a recommended kit is the only way you will understand your pool, have trouble free seasons and save a lot of money over time. I know people (neighbors) and others who have owned pools for 10-20 years and are constantly having problems.

Problems come from bad advice from pool stores and other people they know. The best advice comes from the Forum. There should be no decision on whether you choose one or the other. Thanks!

Basically we're all learning. New technology (and new insights on what doesn't work), will be constant. This is our second pool and all I ever knew were pool stores and their chemicals. Having found you and learning from you is the same as Tesla making us aware that buying cars is not just about dealerships and keeping the parts department alive but actually owning and enjoying a car. (sorry, not meant to be a political rant but only realizing that sometimes industries run us over and muddling the whole idea of a useful product, i.e. a pool that one can enjoy without filling other's pockets ;)).

You all DID change my attitude about a pool and am so glad that you are patient with my long learning curve.

I use Leslie's to buy liquid chlorine sometimes or to pick up replacement reagents for my Taylor kit. But only if I'm feeling lazy and happen to be at my gym (my gym is right next door to a Leslie's). Otherwise I go elsewhere or order online because Leslie's prices are terrible.

Hello All,
Thank you all for your valuable advice. You guys had me "at Hello" :D.

I was out of town, installed my new pool vac this morning (my old "pool cleaner" gave up), and am ready to do an OCLT tonight (that is if my test kit comes in today).
All other numbers check out so far with my old kit. And the CYA is at 40 at the moment.

Leslie's, like any pool store is good if you are in a bind. Sometimes, depending on what you are looking for, it may be easier, and less expensive because of shipping. But, 99% of the time, if you are patient, on line ordering is the easiest. Store front rent, especially on highways, will a lot of employee's always has to lead to higher prices. This is all about economies of scale.

Leslie's, like any pool store is good if you are in a bind. Sometimes, depending on what you are looking for, it may be easier, and less expensive because of shipping. But, 99% of the time, if you are patient, on line ordering is the easiest. Store front rent, especially on highways, will a lot of employee's always has to lead to higher prices. This is all about economies of scale.

My primary source for parts I need immediately is a locally owned pool store that I've developed a relationship with . Anything I can wait for is bought online or from the local guy if his price isn't too bad. I'll hit Leslies if my regular shop doesn't have it and I'm really in a bind, but otherwise I won't go near the place - bad pricing and giving way too much bad advice/taking advantage of owners who don't know any better...

I go there to pick up reagents every once in a while. It takes everything I have not to speak up when they are running their "free" water test for customers. Every person walks out with hundreds of dollars worth of stuff they don't need. In addition everything is overpriced. From their pool toys to their vacuums, you'll pay so much more there!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.