Hooking Up A Return Line Question

NullQwerty

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2008
Hey folks,

I've got an 18X36 IG Vinyl pool. I'm tearing up the concrete deck and replacing it with pavers. While doing that, I'm going to replace all the piping and the skimmer due to leaks and it being 30 years old.

My pool currently has a return in the deep end, another in the shallow, and there's a third return line in the center to left of the skimmer that appears to be closed. When I say closed I mean that there's the standard round white ring screwed in to the pool for the return, however in the center, rather than there being a hole for the pipe/jet, the liner is there instead. There's also a return line pipe coming out of the ground near the pump that is plugged up. So it seems that there must have been a leak years ago and they plugged the line. When it came time to replace the liner, they just put the liner right over the return, but still screwed on the white ring.

So, now for my question...I figure I might as well reinstate this return line since I'm digging up the deck. Can this be done with the liner already there? Any instructions on how I'd do it (i.e. do I just cut out the part of the liner that's over the center of the ring)?

Thanks!

Since it seems it has it's own plumbing, I'd guess it's there as a provision for adding a cleaner. The return plumbing is normally arranged so each one has the same plumbing run length from the filter outlet so the flow is divided equally.

I did exactly what your wanting to do. The extra line is usually put in for a pressure side cleaner, if desired, in the future.

Cut out the liner by using the inner ring as a guide with something sharp (knife,razor blade,exacto-blade, utility knife, etc..) that you don't mind getting wet. You'll want to hold on to it firmly, or put a floatie on it so that it doesn't cut your liner bottom if it gets loose. You'll need an eye-ball and holder for the return, and a way to hook it up at the pad(valve, tee, unions, etc..) If you find out later that it wasn't being used because it leaked, all you have to do is cap it off in the pool with a screw in O-ringed winter plug.

Best Wishes!

Hmmm....Well I have a dolphin robot cleaner, so I don't need a pressure side cleaner.

So, I guess have two options:
1) Do nothing with it
2) Use it for something else

If I go with option 2, the only two things I can think to do with it is to:
a) Turn into a return jet
b) If possible put a light in there.

Which leads to more questions:
a) Can you think of anything else I can do with it?
b) Is it beneficial for me to turn it into another return jet?
c) Can the hole for it (in the pool) be converted so that it can hold a light? And if so, would 1 light be enough for an 18X36 pool with 8' deep end?

Thanks!

Hey Null :wave:

We always install a reserve line on pools (it's just like what you're talking about, a return that isn't cut out that stubs up at the filter pad without being connected)
. You can certainly plumb the stub up into the return line and cut out the liner. If you do this, point the directional 'eyeball' fitting down and in line with the flow provided by the other 2 returns - this will give you better water movement at the bottom of the pool without interfering with the surface flow :cool:

Hey Waste! :wave:

So when you say "reserve"...do you just mean "backup"?

If so, then I guess I can just re-plumb the line to make it new and leave it as reserve in case of future failure.

Thanks again!

You got it :goodjob:

We anticipate line failure, so put in the 'reserve' line - one return and one on the skimmer(s).

If you want to keep it as a 'reserve', you certainly can! If you want to activate it, that's also an option :mrgreen:

It's your pool and your choice, but I would connect it and add some more circulation to the bottom of the pool :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.