Starting my conversion...8/21/2009

Aug 16, 2009
Ph ..is 7.4.Pool is green.I should receive my test kit this afternoon and will check tap water then. Calculator says to add 4 gals and 1 quart..so here I go .Will take pics and post as soon as I can. I know I will still have lots of questions.Stay close...haha

Debbie

Hi..Put in the 2.9 gals.....still waiting on my test kit.Just in case Fedex doesn't get it here today can someone tell me how to do the test with the kit from Walmart I can't seem to find it on the posts. Going to get more bleach.My water turned to coffee with creamer them a bright green.

Check back later,
Debbie

With a cheap test kit, you wait till the FC level falls low enough that the kit can measure it, and then add more chlorine back up to 15. There is a way to use dilution to measure high FC levels with a inexpensive test kit, but it is unreliable and really isn't needed during a baquacil conversion.

Rain finally stopped , I have a question.I have seen this answered but until you do it you don't really "GET IT". When you test the FC level and you put the drops in and it turns pink. Do you put them in until it stays clear or just turns clear?

Thanks Debbis

Debbie, did you swim in the pool the whole time you were doing the conversion? Or do you have to stay out of the pool till it is completely converted? If this question is answered somewhere then please direct me there, I have not found it yet.

amoses said:
Debbie, did you swim in the pool the whole time you were doing the conversion? Or do you have to stay out of the pool till it is completely converted? If this question is answered somewhere then please direct me there, I have not found it yet.

You should not swim in the water during the conversion.

amoses,
I just started my conversion, but as the other poster said you can't get in while doing the conversion and believe me you wouldn't want to. Just keep reading and write things down..even if you don't understand what it means now. I need an answer now that I can't find about the FC test turning pink.

Debbie

Debb

Debstar60 said:
Rain finally stopped , I have a question.I have seen this answered but until you do it you don't really "GET IT". When you test the FC level and you put the drops in and it turns pink. Do you put them in until it stays clear or just turns clear?

Thanks Debbis

Hi Debbie,

Here's a link to PaulR's Water Testing Instructions.
You should add a drop, swirl, and continue until the sample turns clear.

Don't forget some conversion pix for ux :-D

You need to add another drop to see if it then stays clear. It shouldn't turn back to pink unless you put 5 drops of the reagent used to check for CC's and then only if you have CC's will it tinge or change back to pink.

So the answer is that if you add a drop and swirl and it changes to clear and then goes back to pink, you are not done adding drops.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ok..now I'm confused. One post said it didn't matter if it turned back pink the other said add drops until it doesn't turn back pink. That will make a lot of difference in your reading. I went with don't worry about it turning back pink. If anyone has anything to add please let me know.

8/21 10 am....added 4gal,1qt
8/21 10pm..FC1....added 3gal,3qts
8/22 7:30 am .FC1..added 3gal,3qts
8/22 9:30am..FC2.5..added 3gal,2qts...PH7.2

I'll try to get some pics up soon.There is a lot of white particles floating around.Is this water mold?
Do I need to test anything else right now?
Thanks,
Debbie

just vacuumed to waste and cleaned filter.Lots of goo floating around.

12:15.....FC 2...adding 3gals,2qts
CC 4..does that sound right?

I'm going to check some post and read some more.

Pool is now back to green from the coffee and creamer look of yesterday.

Debbie

3:00 reading

FC 5.5...going to add 2gals 2qts
CC 3.5
PH..now that's a little harder..it's the same shade as 7.2 only lighter

I'm not sure if anyone is reading this...but I need to know if I need to adjust the PH

Thanks,
Debbie

Wow...... That's a lot of bleach! When I convert, how much do I want to have on hand? about 50 gallons? You have added over 20 gallons already. And I guess you check and adjust each hour, right?

about 50 gallons?
Yep. One of the most difficult things to convey to a person doing a conversion or shock is just how much it really takes.

It never goes to waste if you get too much and it really makes the process much more difficult if you run out and let the chlorine levels drop.

I would say at least 50% of newbies who convert or shock to clear up algae do not use enough chlorine.....thereby prolonging the process and usually using more chlorine in the long run.

duraleigh,
I was told you are the one who makes the test kits is that right? I was just wondering why so many test for calcium hardness.I really haven't gotten into all that yet.

I have enjoyed using it so far.

So I don't worry about PH until my conversion is through?

Thanks for you reply,
Debbie

amoses,

I have used 16 of the 182 oz walmart brand so far. That's 2912 oz of bleach... and still going. My pool is looking better..it will just take time. When I finish I think I'm going to sent a picture to the pool lady who told me... "your problem is you need to stay off the internet". LOL

Debbie
tired but determined

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.