ThePhillips Pool, New Pics, Plastered Filled, Deck is Done,

Ed Phillips

LifeTime Supporter
I wanted to share a few photos on our new pool build, This is no ordinary Owner / Builder as I am actually the owner and I am Building the pool 90% with my own workers and family. The only sub's on the job will be Gunite & Plaster the rest from Design to Layout, Excavation, Rebar. Plumbing, Electrical, Deck, Etc will all be done by myself My Kids and my workers.

I own a Large Landscape / Irrigation Company we do Apartment Complexes almost exclusively. I also have Carpenters and Rock Layers on the payroll to build Custom and Spec houses. I am considering getting into the pool building business also.

On this pool and back yard project I am going all out. We added on 18 Feet to the back of the house for an outdoor cooking area with a fireplace and built in cookers etc. there will be an additional raised patio area with a fireplace near the pool.

We started tearing out the old back yard and building the block fence etc. The fence will have Stone Columns and have a Stucco finish when it's done I had the Masons pull off the fence and start the fireplaces.

The pool is a free form about 1000 Sq Ft surface area it will have a large waterfall with a custom wrap around slide, 12 Crystal Fountain Bubbler fountains Deck Jets, lots of lights and automation, I am going to use it as a sales tool if I decide to start building pools for others.

here is a photobucket link for additional photos :

erphillips4

These are the original concept images the pool has changed but I don't have time to update the images and really don't need them any longer.

38.jpg

39.jpg

Phillips2.jpg

Phillips3.jpg

40.jpg

Here is my autocad working drawing that I use for layout points etc.

41.jpg

Here are a few shots of excavation, My 13 Year old is pretty good on a Loader and Track Hoe these days.

We got about 2 Feet Deep and Hit Sandstone, about 3 feet came out pretty easy but it got really solid after that
so we have used a Loader, Track Hoe and Jack Hammers to get the excavation done.
If I had a pool contractor the rock clause would have been a budget breaker.

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

This is Me!

46.jpg

This is my 13 year Old Running some equipment.
47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

Our new Found Friend!, He lives under the Transformer

50.jpg

51.jpg

Part of the new Porch / Fireplace area.

52.jpg

We got rained out on one of our big landscape jobs at the University of Tulsa so I had lots of Jack Hammer labor!

53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

It rained this morning so it's a little wet but this is where we stand about a week after starting excavation, we only can work here part time as I have to pay for this project somehow.

56.jpg

57.jpg

58.jpg

Well thats it for now, I will try and keep updates posted. Any Questions or comments welcome.

Ed Phillips

Very cool to have a family business, and one that can get you a nifty pool, to boot!

Please continue to update us on your build, as we love this kind of stuff!! (I don't have a pool at the moment, so must live vicariously through this forum! :roll: )

Welcome to TFP!

Thanks,

My son is really skilled and loves to work hands on, Now ask him to pick up his dirty socks or load the dishwasher and there will be a big fight!

I am glad to each him usable skills but I encourage him to be a doctor/ plastic surgeon or something thats a little easier way of making a good living.

I have 38 employees now we maintain over 50 apartment complexes in Oklahoma and Kansas, I am building 3 Houses, This Pool, A current new apartment landscape & Irrigation project and more Stress than any man should have!

We had a very tragic loss of our 18 year old son on July 8th 2006 by a Drunk Driver going over 120 Mph. Our son was killed and 3 other boys hurt badly while on their way to see a Marine Recruiter. The only way I can keep on going is to stay busy or I would go crazy.

The only reason I am doing the pool is for my other kids and the design was a collaboration of my 18 Year old and his mom before his untimely death.

Ed

Thanks for sharing the pics.

I think your 13yo is probably the envy of every other 13 yo and probably a lot of grown men. I have a friend who told me once that one thing he always wanted to do was operate a backhoe.

Finally Time for an Update, Pool is finally completely dug and trimmed as needed for Plumbing & Re bar. We started the Plumbing today, Ditches and piles of dirt everywhere, Its really hard to get around in the back yard but in a couple of days we should get it all covered and leveled back out.

Today we got most of the returns, Most of the Spa Jets and Suction Lines and the Waterfall Suction and Supply's. Still lots of plumbing to do for the Wall Jets, Bubbler's, Cleaner, Etc and all the electric and control wiring conduit for the automation and lights.

The First Fireplace is almost done.

The plan is to finish Plumbing and Re Bar this coming week and be ready for Gunite.

More pictures on the photo bucket site.

Thanks for all the kind comments.

Ed

72.jpg

73.jpg

74.jpg

75.jpg

76.jpg

77.jpg

78.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have talented employees, My wife and I come up with the designs I do the drawings and layout and It all comes together in the end.

The porch beams are regular dimensional lumber wrapped with smooth cedar then distressed with a power plane, belt Sander etc to get the hand hewn look.

The main thing I see right now that has to be fixed is the crooked stone above the Keystone in the center of the fireplace arch, I don't know how that slipped by it really jumps out at me now that I noticed it.

The yard is such a mess now I will be glad to get it all completed.

Thanks for the comments
Ed

I am using the Paramount PV3 Also I should have the full kit by Tuesday, maybe you can help me out with some info.

Any chance you have the plumbing Diagram for yours?

How many heads pop up at one time?

Are they spaced approx 5 feet apart?

Is there a bypass around the heater or does the line go from filter to heater then back to the pool?

Any chance you could take a photo or two of the plumbing showing the cleaner valve and piping?

The in floor cleaner companies are pretty tight with the info so any feedback you or anyone with a PV3 system can provide is appreciated.

Thanks
Ed

Looks like things are coming along nicely. That picture of the Lonestar cement bags stuck out for me. My grandfather worked for Lonestar Cement in Maryneal Texas for 35 years. I'm really cheering for you to get this wrapped up and keep us updated with pics. Best wishes.

Hi Ed,

Missed your post, I do not have the diagram for the PV3 but I will see if I can answer....
Ed Phillips said:
I am using the Paramount PV3 Also I should have the full kit by Tuesday, maybe you can help me out with some info.

Any chance you have the plumbing Diagram for yours? No, I will be asking my plumber since that would be a good thing to have later on down the line. You can view the pics, they may help http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b244/UnrulyJ/ password Hart

They have a collector at the rear of the pool that contains 6 stations and operates 25 heads so I think 4 pop up at one time...I added one additonal head after the original install since I added one more barstool.

I show about 6' apart.

Is there a bypass around the heater or does the line go from filter to heater then back to the pool?
I do not have a heater for the pool

Any chance you could take a photo or two of the plumbing showing the cleaner valve and piping?
please feel free to browse what I have, hope it can help you

The in floor cleaner companies are pretty tight with the info so any feedback you or anyone with a PV3 system can provide is appreciated.

Thanks
Ed

New Pictures, Plumbing, Steel, Gunite

Its been a busy last few weeks no time to update.

Pool is Plumbed, Steel Is done and Gunite was shot yesterday.

Gunite took over 9 Hours & over 100 Yards of Material!

The slide was a last minute addition we were tying steel as they were shooting gunite
it looks pretty rough now But after all the rock work I think it will be ok.

We have about decided on Durazzo Sandy Beach Polished Marble Plaster.
Tile will be Rosetta Series MAS SKNF 630 from Master Tile.

Lots more photos on Photobucket, ( Link in first Post )

Pool017.jpg

Pool020.jpg

Pool2012.jpg

Pool2002.jpg

Pool8-7-07053.jpg

Pool8-7-07054.jpg

Pool8-7-07051.jpg

Pool8-7-07056.jpg

Pool8-7-07059.jpg

Pool8-7-07061.jpg

Pool8-7-07064.jpg

Pool8-7-07057.jpg

Ed Phillips said:

Any chance you have the plumbing Diagram for yours?

Thanks
Ed

Will this help?
https://www.e-ppss.com/builders/support/pdf/PV3.pdf

Yes Thanks, I had found that link and got all the design info off the net before plumbing.

I do have one problem though, I got a kit with 17 heads and I plumbed the pool for a total of 28 with the benches and spa.
I was expecting to be able to purchase additional parts to complete the system but it turns out that Paramount for some reason decided to allow one of the large builders in Tulsa to have an exclusive dealership for 2007 and they can't sell anyone else in the area parts until 2008.

I am trying to find someone out of state to buy me 11 more heads and collars to complete the system If I cant get them I am going to use The Polaris Caretaker system heads on my Benches and Spa they basically work the same and I can match the flow rates I need. The PV3's rotate any time they are up and the Caretaker system ratchets one notch each time it is pressured up but it will still work.

I now have a dealership for the Caretaker system and can get their parts locally.

It really makes no sense to me why Paramount would limit their sales when there are so few in floor systems available but I guess they know best how to run their business.

So if anyone has connections to get 11 heads and Mounting Collars for the PV3 system I will gladly pay for your time and trouble to get them for me.

Thanks
Ed

So, Ed, you are saying that the PV3's continually rotate the whole time they are up?

Do you think that is better?

I have a very old pool with what must surely be one of the first inground systems ever built. It has the old toe stubbers that always stick up about 1/2", when the pump is on, they are supposed to rotate a little every time it cycles the flow to that head, but I don't think any of them rotate at all, any more.

I am going to have my pool replastered, hopefully this winter, and am also hoping to change out the heads to the popup kind. Boy, they charge a lot for those things. I have 10 in my playpool and it was going to cost me around 600.00 for just the parts, to replace them. So, now that you brought this up, I'm wondering if I should look into whether I can get some like you describe, if they would be even better.

Yes the PV3's rotate while they are up, the Nozzle is offset so it forces it to rotate under water pressure flowing from the nozzle , The Polaris Caretaker Rotates a small amount each time it pops up it is similar to a click type ball point pen it takes longer for it to make a complete circle but it moves debris in the nozzle path for a longer time in one area.

I can't tell for sure at this point witch one is better I am sure they both will work well.

One thing I like about the PV3 is the lack of high wear areas in the head, The small plastic notches in the Caretaker are bound to wear sooner or later. Also the PV3 has a heavy steel weight that causes it to retract when it is off. the Caretaker does not.

Comparing both types the PV3 seems to me to be a better design overall.

I believe both companies make a retrofit head for older systems.

I did find that the PV3 mounts inside Schedule 40 PVC and the Caretaker mounts inside Schedule 20 Pvc or the Sch 40 will have to be reamed out to make it fit.

Ed

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.