New pool zero chlorine 180 Alk

dmj4

Jul 22, 2009
I have a new 18x37 vinyl liner pool. We filled it with well water. We started filling it 6 days ago and it has been full for 3 days, now. It has zero chlorine. There has been no chlorine put in it except 2 tabs to the skimmer basket and 2 tabs to the auto chlorine feeder. I bought bottles of bleach today. My alkaline is 180 and my PH is 8. I had the water tested at the pool shop. She wants me to shock it. I bought the bleach and I'm coming here first. Will the bleach decrease the alkaline, too? It has zero iron and zero copper, but some phosphates (sorry I don't remember how much). Sorry, these are the only numbers I can get for now.

We have a saltwater generator due to come in on Monday. What is a good test kit for use after I get the saltwater system? It is an Aquarite.

Is this enough info for you to tell me what to add and if I need to shock with supershock, like the pool store suggested?

The water is not green and the pool is not slick on the bottom. It is a little cloudy, but not terribly so. We have been running the pump 24/7.

We have not been in it, yet. We are anxious to swim before time to close it up.

You need to lower the PH down to 7.2 and raise FC up to around 5 this evening. Each time the PH goes over 7.8, lower it back down to 7.2.

Then tomorrow you need to start raising the CYA level. With a SWG you want CYA to be around 70 to 80, the low end of that range will be fine since it is the end of the season.

Getting a top quality test kit, like the TF100 or K-2006 is the best bet.

Bleach will not help, or hurt, the alkalinity.

You want "stabilizer" also might be called "conditioner," either way look at the ingredients, you want it to be Cyanuric Acid 100% (or close to 100%). It helps keep chlorine from being burned off by the sun. And read up some more in Pool School (big button on the upper right of every page on the site).
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.