installing skimmer on itex. how to route pipes?

Jan 14, 2018
Boise, ID
Hey everyone, I have a 22'x52" intex round that I am installing a larger pump/sand filter on. I am also installing the Hayward through wall skimmer. Just had a couple questions, right now it has 2 intakes and 1 return. I am hard plumbing it with 1.5" pvc. I was thinking of using the skimmer as the main intake and keeping one of the original intakes for vacuming or whatever is needed. The skimmer also came with a larger return. I was thinking of just blocking off the 2nd original intake and original return and installing the larger Hayward return. What would you guys recommend? Could I split the pipe and just use the original return and the 2nd original intake as a 2nd return instead of blocking it off and not have to cut the liner more? Thanks for any help

Hello! I just installed a skimmer myself. I used skimmer as main intake, one of the intake holes as a second intake, and plugged the other hole. I’m using the original return as the only return, and have my Intex robot connected to it.

I’m kind of confused by your question - it sounds like you are doing pretty much the same thing I did, but you lost me at blocking the original return. It looks like you only have one return, and the Hayward return that came with the skimmer should fit...

I was considering blocking off the original return and installing the Hayward return that came with the skimmer. The Hayward return is the same thing as the intex just larger diameter you just cut out a circle in the liner and install similar to how the skimmer is installed. I was concerned the intex return wouldn't be large enough with the upgraded pump and larger pipes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.