POols up!

gd5015

Jul 26, 2009
Houston, Tx
The pool arrived this morring, and despite my best efforts, I managed to fubar the install. I had carefully measured, placed, and dug out my concrete blocks for the pool legs to sit on, and somehow devided 18 by 2 and got 8. When I had finished pre-assembling the top ring, I noticed the legs would not be on the blocks. Then I noticed the "extra" top rail and "T". I measured the stone placement 10 times if I measured it once, but I didn't think to check my math. What a pain. Anyway, after a couple more hours of discussing this problem with myself, the pool is filling. Slowly I might add, but filling.
Played with my test kit and found my PH is 7.5, but my TA is above 200. Will be adding salt, bleach, CYA, and acid as soon as I can get the pump running. Thanks to everyone here for the great cite and all the help.

John,
Congrats! Now you have to take some pics and post them!
My kids love the Utra-Frame pool, it also went up alot easier than the reg frame.
Here is mine:
DSCN0931.jpg

Let us see yours! LOL
Mike

gd5015 said:
Will be adding salt, bleach, CYA, and acid as soon as I can get the pump running. Thanks to everyone here for the great cite and all the help.

Why do you want to add acid? Your pH (7.5) is fine and the CYA will lower that anyway. You will most likely need to add borax to raise it after the CYA.

You may want to just wait and monitor the pH before you try to adjust the TA, it may or may not really be necessary. You can do it the slow way and just add MA when the pH gets to 7.8 and reduce to 7.2 or so and let that wear down the TA slowly.

Doing it rapidly requires aeration and if you want to you can find some things that folks here have devised to get a lot of aeration quickly in above ground pools.

But, you may not NEED to. Not right away.

to yitbos1, CYA won't have any real effect on pH, that is MA, muriatic acid that does affect pH and eventually TA.

Thanks for the suggestions, maybe I will wait and see on the acid, but I thought TA was pretty important for a SWG.

Ended up draining the pool today anyway. The frame twisted while the pool was being filled. I saw it happening as I was filling, but had no idea just how much it would twist. Can't keep the legs on the blocks now. The legs easily shifted 6 inches. Also, the bottom rope stretched. I cinched it up pretty tight when there was only a few inches of water in it, just not enough. And the legs moved back another 6 inches. Anyone see a pattern developing? Apparently these pools are not for the feint of heart.

On the plus side, the pool is level to about a 1/2 inch. I was pretty impressed with that. We did swim late last nite and again this morning and I could get to like this. Just have to get it right this time. I was also impressed with the Intex pump. The return is quite strong. Any reason why I can't use the existing pump with a larger cartridge filter? The ladder however, stinks. But for $600 shipped, I can't complain. Will post pics when I get it back up. Hopefully, tomorrow afternoon.

I've been considering getting the 18'x52' as well but prices vary wildly for this.

Where did you find it for such a good price?

On a side note, I know the stronger intex pump will run a sand filter because I had to use it when my other pumps wet end failed. It's even strong enough to run the auto vacuum.

Glad I kept it for a backup and I will continue to keep it for use as such.

http://www.meijer.com/catalog/product.j ... oryId=1993
This is where I got mine. It was on sale until the first week in August, $630 and free shipping. The week after I ordered mine, they sent me a 15% off coupon, but wouldn't apply it retroactively. The shipping took a few days shy of 1 complete month! So I wasn't really fond if the idea of canceling and reordering it. Not much summer left as is.

Got the pool drained over nite, and started working on it this morning. That last 3 inches of water is tough to get rid of. Got the legs back on the blocks, made sure they were vertical, and cinched up the rope as much as I could. What a PITA. I hope I never have to take that pool down again. While it was filling, I did put a small deck together since the supplied ladder is so awful. At least it is for a 230 lb, 50 yr old man. Wobbling around 7 ft up in the air is not my idea of fun. Pics. to follow.

Finished filling this morning and added about 50 oz. of 6% bleach. Then I worked on the 4x4 deck / stair a little and swam a little. Not a very productive day, but it was really nice to be able to jump in when it got a little hot. Test numbers from tonite are:

TC 0 - added 50 oz. bleach to get above 5
pH 7.5-7.8
TA >150
CH 70

CYA is dissolving in a stocking, so I guess my FC from this morning was eaten up by the sun. I added another 50 oz. of bleach tonite. I need to get another batch of salt, but will wait a few days to get the water balanced.
I fixed my part of my leg problem. They are no longer twisting to the side. But they are still being pushed back by the pool. Is this normal? Spent a good while making sure the rope was cinched good and tight, but with all that weight pushing out on it, it is going to stretch. Don't know what else to do. By the time I got everything cleaned up enough for pics, it was getting dark and I needed to hook up the strainer and vacuum. So far, except for the ladder, I'm pretty impressed with the level of quality on the Intex pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We purchased the Dirt Devil auto vacuum for our above ground pool (previous pool). We got it on sale for about $100.00, it only has one moving part. It has a counter weight that the water flow moves back and forth thus scooting the unit around the pool. This is a suction side cleaner that pulls the trash and debris into the filter. We used this for 2 years and it now resides in another county still cleaning the above ground pool. It is not perfect and it works randomly, but it will do the job in a few hours. You can adjust its pattern somewhat by adding or subtracting a length of the included hose.

I ran this for a few hours about twice a week and besides occasionally (every few weeks) taking the included hose and sucking up some random dirt in a location or two (5-10 minutes of work max) I did not vacuum for two years, except after a storm or high wind.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.