Iron Stains, AA Treatment safe to swim in?

Aug 17, 2009
Cape Cod, MA USA
So I had problems with low pH, I stopped using trichlor, switching BBB method, brought pH up to 7.6, kept chlorine in check and the iron stains come out.

I'm about to follow the AA treatment program, dropping FC to 0, adding AA to get rid of the iron stains leaving my filter on circulate.

My question is: Is it safe to use the pool during this treatment? or is the only risk the increased possibility of an algae bloom because you have low/zero FC?

Other than right after shocking, when it NOT safe to go in the pool?

dfmcapecod

It's not safe to go into the pool if the chlorine level is too low, especially near or at zero. It's not safe if the water is so cloudy that you cannot clearly see the main drain so could potentially not see someone drowning. It's not safe if there is a fecal accident, dead animal, etc. until you shock the pool.

By itself, shock levels of chlorine are not unsafe and are typically lower in active chlorine concentration than most indoor pools that don't have Cyanuric Acid (CYA).

Because the Ascorbic Acid treatment consumes chlorine is it is low or zero, it is not safe to swim during the treatment. Of course, safety is a relative thing but it would be best to avoid it until you are done with the treatment and chlorine levels are brought back up (slowly to prevent restaining, and I assume you are adding a metal sequestrant).

I ended up using a sequestering agent last night, foxx scale and stain control, it was left over from the previous home owner.

I shut off the pump.
Added a quart around the edge.
left it until morning.
scrubbed the stains.
Turned the filter back on in the morning, having let it work for about 12-14 hours.
By noon, the plastics had returned to completely white.

The pH was still around 7.6.
FC was around 1 when I did the treatment.

I'm not sure if I had success because the stains were brand new or what, but I would have thought this took more work.

Now I wonder if the sequestering agent is just holding them in the water, will a DE filter "catch" them? or will I need to continue to treat weekly?

I brought FC back up to 4.0 tonight with bleach and it looks the best it's ever looked.

-dfmcapecod

Metal never leaves the water unless you run it thru a water softener-type device.

You must continue to sequester the metal for the life of the pool......assuming your fill water is the source.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.