Greetings all, Newbie to the forum

morrodds

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2009
Leona Valley, CA
Hi - I'm Martin and have just finished building a vinyl lined, wood walled pool on a slope. I've perused this forum for a few weeks and am impressed with the camaraderie and info disseminated. Pool School is very nice - kudos to those who compiled all the data and directions.

Since I'm starting up the pool, I've ordered the TF100 test kit. The local pool store gave me the following #s this AM:

pH 7.4
TA 60
TC 0
CH 80
CYA 0

I've added a gal. of 6% bleach every other evening since Sunday. With no CYA, I guess it's gone in no time. I'm ~50 miles north of Los Angeles and we get LOTS of sun.

From the Pool Calculator I estimate I'll need 2.5#s baking soda, 4 #s CYA and a little more than 2 qts of 12.5% liquid chlorine. Do I need to shock the pool?

Thanx, Martin

You should keep adding your bleach but I think I would do it nightly since there is no CYA in the water right now. You need to get some CYA in there to help with slowing down your chlorine loss during the day time with the hot sun!

Welcome to the forum BTW :wave: and some pics of your pool build would be nice if you have any to share. We always love to see pics !

From your numbers it doesn't really look like it. It's hard to tell though without a full set of numbers. Especially FC and CC. You also need to do an overnite chlorine drop test. You can do that once you get the test kit.

Right now I'd go ahead and add the CYA at a return or in the skimmer and add the recommended chlorine. Then you can add the baking soda.

I'd add about 48oz of chlorine a day until you get the kit just to make sure you're keeping the FC up. If you get it a little high, you can always let it drift down once you get a good test on it.

Hi Martin,

Congrats for getting off to a good start with your new pool :goodjob:

I agree that you should get your CYA in ASAP. Also, since you have "lots of sun", you might want to think about CYA of 40 instead of 30.

Ditto on the "we love pix"!

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Thanx for the encouragement. Got the CYA and baking soda in tonight.

After reading all the concern about excessive CYA on vinyl, I thought I'd wait a week before bumping it higher. Since I use a sand filter would the backwash/waste water compensate for the CYA if I used an in-line Trichlor tablet feeder? I've read about the evils of tablets but would like the convenience.

I took some pix of the construction project - where should I post them - here or under construction?

Here is the present progress - ladders and enclosure for the cover are next.
Pool1.jpg

pool2.jpg

Later, Martin

Thanx again for the compliments. It's hard to believe this is only an hour from LA.

That's the Leona Valley Vineyards below ( nice of them to have planted it after I bought the place :-D ). We have cherry, pear and apple orchards along with horse ranches. Fortunately the horses are far enough away so we don't have the flies.

Here's a shot from 2 years ago:
MEOpano.jpg

I'll make a thread in the build section.

Martin

morrodds said:
After reading all the concern about excessive CYA on vinyl, I thought I'd wait a week before bumping it higher. Since I use a sand filter would the backwash/waste water compensate for the CYA if I used an in-line Trichlor tablet feeder? I've read about the evils of tablets but would like the convenience.
Backwashing wouldn't really help enough. Suppose you need to add 10ppm FC per week (around 1.5ppm per day, not unreasonable in summertime). If that's all from the tabs, you will also get 6ppm CYA. So, in a month you've raised CYA by around 25. Let's say you started at CYA 50 (again not unreasonable for a sunny climate) then after a month you're at 75, and need to dump 1/3 of your water to get back to 50. Now each pool is different but whether it takes 1 month or 2, eventually your CYA will be too high. You're not going to backwash that much, not in a clean pool.

The tabs are great for vacations, but for everyday I'd use at most one at a time just as a supplementary source of FC.
--paulr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.