Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar install diagram does not seem right

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar install diagram does not seem right

Looking at the diagram from the sungrabber solar heater installation manual, it shows that the panels should slope 1" per 10' for proper drainage. But it shows it sloping toward the filter and pump. I've added red marks to the diagram where I intend to have check valves. One is so that the flow can not go backwards thru the filter and the other is for when the system is bypassed so that the solar panel is not pressurized. To me, it seems that I'd want to slope the panels the opposite direction as shown. I'm in South Florida so am not worried about freeze protection, but I'd think it would be good to have the water drain when the pump is off.[attachment=0:3pf4dmhx]solar.gif[/attachment:3pf4dmhx]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar install diagram does not seem right

You want the outlet side higher so the water pushes the air out as the panel fills with water.

Your diagram lacks a bypass to allow water to flow directly from the outlet of the filter to the returns. I like a 3-way valve, with a check valve between the filter and valve so water draining from the panels doesn't go back through the filter.

I modified the drawing to the way I'd do it, but only had Paint to do it with. The lines crossing on the inlet side of the pump don't actually connect.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Solar install diagram does not seem right

Thanks. I got it now.
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat