Bestway pool to Saltwater ?

Usually, with a SWG pool, you'll add enough CYA to raise it up to the 60-70ppm range when you go to turn on your SWG. Have you added salt already and have a test result for salt?

So I added salt when I filled the pool which was this last monday. I never did turn on the SWG bc i was worried the chlorine level was too high. And now it just keeps raining again so i havent been wanting to hook it up in these downpours. Am i ok to still run it despite the fact i added the salt 4 days ago? Also how often do i run the SWG once i get it going? Do i always run it the same time as the filter? Sorry my posts are so inconsistent. Been having some major problems with our internet service lately so that has also been a pain in the butt as i try to do this!

Do you have something to test the salt level like a K-1766 kit? How much salt did you add?

To get an idea of how long to start running it, use SWG-Runtime-Calculator - GitHub, and adjust as needed. If you notice your FC dropping below target, increase the percent or how long it runs; too high and decrease it. There's no difference between 50% for 8 hours, and 100% for 4 hours besides how long the pump is running, the percent just says how much of the time it's actually generating.

I have my SWG on the same timer as my single speed pump, so whenever the pump is turned on, the SWG is running.

yes I have a salt water test I ordered along with the kit although I havent tested it yet. I put in 3 bags of salt so like 120lbs is what i put in. I will test and get back on the number. thanks for the link. How often do you run your pump in general? Is mine a single speed pump? Sorry I dont know what that means

yes I have a salt water test I ordered along with the kit although I havent tested it yet. I put in 3 bags of salt so like 120lbs is what i put in. I will test and get back on the number. thanks for the link. How often do you run your pump in general? Is mine a single speed pump? Sorry I dont know what that means

What brand and model is your pump? Should be written somewhere on the motor.

When you added your salt, you turned the pump on to run continuously for at least 24 hrs and brushed up any clumps of salt on the floor, right? If so, you can test the salt level after 24 hours. The test is considered finished as soon as you get the first flash of pink/red that actually stays pink/red. It will likely flash pink a couple times and then go back to milky white, but when it stays pink it's done. If it turns and stays a dark reddish brown color and it isn't really low, then you added too many drips.

I run mine at 25% for 4 hours a day, plus whatever time we're in the pool. I find stuff floats out of the skimmer when we swim if the pump isn't on, plus the extra FC then counters the consumption of FC by organics off your body.

Screenshot_20180713-173933.jpg

Lightmaster, I just wanted to say THANK YOU for helping them out! I am learning with them as I don't have a SWG (yet)! :hug:

Kim:kim:

o_O As much as you know about pools and you don't have a SWG yet??? That's like saying you don't have a smartphone and you're still enjoying 56k dial up at home, lol.

Speaking of the Speedstir, jsalz, if you don't have one, it makes the salt test hundreds of times easier, and that's no exaggeration. If you haven't done the salt test yet, the sample gets very thick with particulates in it. So thick that the SpeedStir even has trouble stirring it if the batteries are even remotely low (like under 50%). Its even harder to get a decent stir when you are swooshing it by hand. Not saying it's impossible to get an accurate result without it, it's just so much easier. When I test my water tomorrow, I'll take a video of the SpeedStir stirring this test.

I did get the speedstir when i ordered my test kit per your recommendation and was sure glad i did! Thanks. So my salt test was 2800. But i went to run the generator and it kept giving me low flow error. I made sure everything was clean and also disconnected the solar heater thinking that was causing it but it still came up with that error. So it has me bummed out big time. Is there anything else i can do?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did get the speedstir when i ordered my test kit per your recommendation and was sure glad i did! Thanks. So my salt test was 2800. But i went to run the generator and it kept giving me low flow error. I made sure everything was clean and also disconnected the solar heater thinking that was causing it but it still came up with that error. So it has me bummed out big time. Is there anything else i can do?

anything over 700 gph should be fast enough for the swg to work - check your in and out pipes and make sure they are in the correct order. If the flow is backwards the switch will be forced off.

Maybe a picture of the overall plumbing from the pool to the pump to the swg to the pool could help.

It looks like your pool is very close to mine in water volume. We're on the low end of the pole on turnover but it should be sufficient if plumbed correctly. Just longer run times for the filter. I wish I would have bought the ECO8110 instead of the 5110 - it was $40 different at the time. The 8110 will be plenty to maintain your Chlorine level.

The first time i connected it i had a steady stream through the return. The 2nd time, when i disconnected the solar heater i didnt have anything so not sure what i did wrong. I disconnected it since i kept getting the error but will take a picture when i try to connect it again either tonight after work or tomorrow. Do you the solar heater affects it at all or can i still try to run it thru there?

Pictures of your PVC would be great. Could be the flow switch was installed backwards. Are you certain the cable from the flow switch is plugged in good?

IMG_20180717_104310.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

So I numbered the hoses just so its easier for me to refer to them. So the SWG should be the last thing before the pool right? So i connected the hose that came with the SWG from the solar heaterconnection by hose 5 into the swg and then connected hose 5 into the connection of the SWG.

Have you tried to run the swg without using the solar heater? You will have some gph lost using it. System flow is probably around 800gph, when adding the heater it drops it too low would be my guess.

The flow sensor should be keyed and fit only one way.

If that doesn't work I'd look into an Intex sand filter. You can pick up a 16" for $160. 14" is $200. 12" is $160.

Yeah i tried without the heater but i didn't have anything coming from the return that time so maybe i did it wrong. So if i do it without the heater then I would hook hose 3 into the SwG right? And hose 5. But then if i do it that wat i dont need the hose that came it so thats where i feel i doing something wrong. Also can i hook up the swg before the solar heater and leave the solar heater attached? I know it was said the swg should be the last thing before the return but would it really hurt to have it before the heater if i can get it to work?

Can you update your signature with your SWG, solar heater, and pump/filter info. Can't for the life of me remember which SWG you said you got.

Yes, the one you labeled 3 that comes out the filter into the heater would connect into the SWG. Does your SWG have a separate flow switch or is it built into the SWG cell? If it's separate, make sure the flow switch is before the SWG and pointed the right way. The SWG cell also has to be installed the right way. There should be indicators on the cell and switch for which way to point it, and the manual should also tell you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.