Bestway pool to Saltwater ?

jsalz

May 8, 2018
Lewisville, MN
New to pools. I got a bestway steel frame oval pool that was purchased at Costco. Should i convert it saltwater? Can i convert it saltwater? Are the intex saltwatwater systems compatible with my bestway pool? I believe it is 18x9x48" oval. TIA!

I have a 18' round bestway/Coleman pool. I ended up cutting out the fittings and installing a 1hp pump and filter, with a through wall skimmer and all 1.5" PVC pipes, and Circupool RJ-45 SWG. It's certainly possible and honestly not that hard to modify a pool like that to have whatever equipment you want on it. The route I took is definitely a more expensive route, but I bought all my equipment with the idea of upgrading to a 33' hard wall above ground pool sooner or later.

If you're gonna go with an Intex SWG, get the largest one they offer, and definitely get one of their larger pump/filter combos. The pump/filter combos that come with bestway and Intex pools are depressingly undersized.

Also, go ahead and buy a TF-100 XL and TF-100 salt test, with a speedster, trust me, you'll want one after 2 or 3 tests, and it's better to pay for shipping once, lol. Actually, I think those 3 should might put you over the limit to get free shipping. If not, grab 4 talyor calibrated test tubes and 3 magnetic bars from tftestkit's site (link in my signature), so you can do all your tests at once and clean up afterwards.

With the Tf-100 and salt test, technically there are 5 tests that use the test tubes, but the Calcium Hardness test you'll only do once a season most likely, since vinyl pools don't need to add CH like plaster pools do. So you only need 4 Taylor tubes and 4 bars (TF-100 comes with 1 bar, so only get 3 extra).

Thanks for the info. Sorry im a bit confused and you're gonna have to dumb it down for me a bit. So i am going to have to modify this particular pool to use the Intex Saltwater generator? Is there anything else i can use without having to modify? Ideally i would like the simplest option possible since im new to pools and this is just kinda our starter pool so i dont want to put a ton of $$ into it but would really like to start out with the saltwater. Or am i better off sticking to chlorine with this particular model?

No, you won’t have to modify. A lot of us decided we didn’t like the 1.25” holes that are on our Intex pools, so we cut the holes larger to fit the 1.5” hoses that the pump comes with. If we didn’t want to cut the larger holes, we could have gotten hose adapters.

Not sure what size holes your pool came with... can you check and let us know?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No worries, that was me not too long ago! Yep, that looks like the right part.

How many holes did the pool come with? For simplicity’s sake, the holes that send water to the pump we’ll call suction, and the holes that send water back to pool are called return. You probably have one return and one suction, or possibly one return and two suction. You’ll need an adaptor for each hole. I assume you already have the 1.5” hoses?

From the picture on Cosco's website, looks like it should have 2 suctions and 1 return, so jsalz will need 2 pairs. You'll have an extra one then should anything ever happen to one of your adapters.

Looking back through this thread, I don't see where jsalz said what size hoses came with their pool and which pump/filter they have or the fitting sizes on them. Can you post the model number for your pool and the model number/name of your pump/filter? Did the pump/filter come with the pool or was it purchased separately? And have you already purchased an Intex SWG or are you still looking to buy one? Do you know the model number for the SWG?

Looking at the owner's manuals for the Intex SWGs, I'm not sure you'd need any adapter or anything for it.

True, it might! J, have you ordered the SWG yet? It should say what it comes with, somewhere on the product page.

I have not ordered SWG yet. Im still trying to decide if its the best option for me. What do you guys think? You guys have been SO helpful and i greatly appreciate it. Ill attach my pool model and filter

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_20180522_191651.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The filter is Bestway model #58401E Flowclear sand filter. It came with the pool

It looks like that is the 1000 gallon filter, which appears to use the smaller 1.25” hoses. Looking now to see what SWG might work with it.

Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System for Above-Ground Pools up to 15,000 Gallons | Walmart should do good. It comes with 1.25" to 1.5" adapters and hoses so should be all you need, besides the salt itself. Also, your pool is around 4,300 gallons, and this is rated for 15,000 gallons, so it should be able to hold up during the summer with no problems.

Whenever you read reviews about SWGs online, take them with a grain of salt. Remember that unfortunately majority of pool owners listen to the advice and testing of Pool Stores which are horribly wrong and inaccurate, and those same people fight with algae because they don't do a full SLAM that actually kills the algae. Most negative reviews for this SWG center around bad Pool Store testing and trying to fight an existing algae bloom with just an SWG, which will never end up working (must use bleach to fight algae, although an SWG will do a wonderful job of preventing algae).

On that note, have you purchased a TFP recommended test kit yet?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.