How long to run Pump/Filter?

Aug 16, 2009
Everything seems to be working pretty good. I was just wondering on how long I should run my pump and filter? The neibor said he runs his all the time he said it was worth the extra money in electric to keep it clean. But im not sure if I want to run it all the time?
I almost bought a timer at wal mart today it was a outdoors timer and said you can turn things on and off when ever you want,But earlier today I noticed when I shut off the pump air or what ever happens pops my basket up in the skimmer and if you dont notice it when you turn the pump back on it sucks air. It seemed to do it pretty regularly ,I thought maybe I had air in there to begin with but after I made sure there was no air in there it popped the basket up again.
Is there a trick to this,am I doing something wrong. Does it need weighted down or something?
I dont think the pump needs to run 24/7,but with it acting like this I wouldnt feel comfortable with it on a timer on its own in case the basket moved and started sucking air.

I can understand that,
Some skimmer baskets are located on two little lugs which fit into notches on the rim of the basket which prevent them from lifting. Usually the weir/dam will prevent the basket lifting but some just do. It maybe worth you taking the skimmer basket to a few pool shops to see if they have a different one, take a photo of your skimmer with you as that will help.

Worth doing for the saving in electricity will pay for itself many times over and that's good for the planet too.

Maybe you can enlighten your neighbour, if he is running BBB and has the correct level of free chlorine he would be able to switch his pump off too.

The pump will last longer that way so there is a saving there as well.

Our skimmer basket has two flat spots on the sides that allow it to go down by two matching lugs in the skimmer and it then twists 90º to hold it in place. I've also heard of people putting a rock in the skimmer basket to hold it down.

I recommend running your pump two times a day. Once in the morning and once in the evening. I run ours from 2:30pm to 6:30pm and from 3:00am to 7:00am. So I run it 8 hours a day in two four hour segments.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.