Pool heaters,Just some random question?

Aug 16, 2009
I got a 27' above ground pool and was wondering what btu heater would be good for my size pool. Im just kind of browsing around on what it would cost to put one in,They look pretty pricey :(
But I seen they have electric,propane,natural gas and solar. I dont really have room for a big solar panels in my yard and dont think I want electric either. How does the propane work,do you just get tanks like you use for a grill and light the burner when you want to heat?
I would most likely go natural gas if I was to get one,I seen some used near me on craiglist,ebay etc. I was wondering on how long do they last,would it be wise to buy a heater say 5yrs old or so? Any brand to stay away from?
Any hidden things needed to know about running a gas heater,like have to treat the water differently with chemicals?

Heater size depends on how you want to use it. A couple of hundred thousand BTUs in a gas heater would allow you to heat the pool Friday for the weekend, but a smaller heater running daily could maintain the temperature.

Gas and propane heaters are more suited to the quick warmup mode, while electric heat pumps are very efficient at continuous heating.

None of them are cheap to operate, and the reason you see them used on craigslist may be because people got their first gas bill and shut them off.

Propane units would eat a grill sized bottle in no time. Gas units often require new, larger gas lines to operate.

I have a 125,000 btu heater, In April I opened and turned on the heater on a Thursday. Water went from mid 50s to 85 in 2 days. Gas bill went up, but not as much as I expected. I run my pump on low 24/7, and my heater is set to kick in if the water temp drops below 85. I find my heater adds approx $100 a month to my nat gas bill in the summer.

The first year we had the pool we kept it open into October. I remember there was a heat wave and it was in the upper 80s the first weekend...we were swimming because we used the heater to keep the water warm thru September. Our gas bill game the first week in November, and it was $396. After that we turned off the heater on Labor day. :mrgreen:

It's a plus because it does extend the swimming season and can keep your pool a constant temp, I wouldn't have a pool without one but I'm biased towards warmer water.

My paranoia would keep me away from a used unit, but if you know someone who could inspect a used unit for you pre-purchase and assure you that it can function....

Heaters are subject to damage from poor water chemistry, particularly low PH. So you don't know what kind of conditions the used ones were subjected to in their prior home. Good luck!

My brother-in-law just installed his 4x12 solar on the new 26" round AG. Got a 4 degree rise the first day. I bought it for him for his previous Intex pool, he didn't think it would do much on his new pool. I convinced him to put it on, now he is convinced. Cost me about $250, cost him about $10 (for fittings).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.