New Pool Owner - pool equipment explained?

patplh

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2009
Massachusetts
Hi, I'm closing on our new house on Friday and already have my TF100 test kit ready to go. Can't wait to run my first tests. I was at the house last week and took some pictures of the equipment to hopefully get some feedback on the quality of the models. The pool was installed in 2002. It is a 17000 gal (approx) gunite kidney shaped pool with a waterfall. The equipment is listed below:
Aerotemp heat pump, Model AT12000-A, BTU/KW output 92000/26.96, 60Hz - is this an efficient model for the size of my pool?
PB4 Booster Pump - Copper conductors - this is strictly for the pool cleaner, right?
Hayward Vari-Flo model SP715XR50, Rated pressure 50PSI, Rated Flow 125GPM
AOS UST1202 Motor, googling shows it's 2HP
Meyco pool cover
Pentair Model 320 Auto Chlorine Feeder
Hydro-King T104P201 Timer
Polaris Cleaner, I think it's a 380 - while we were there, it was running in the pool and the tube that extends from it that appears to blow water/air, occasionally sprayed water out of the pool - is that normal?

I'd like to pick up a Solar Pool Cover to help with the heating - is there a recommended brand?
Thanks in advance.. I'll probably be posting again on Friday with my test kit results to make sure I'm doing the right thing :)
Love this place!

patplh said:
Aerotemp heat pump, Model AT12000-A, BTU/KW output 92000/26.96, 60Hz - is this an efficient model for the size of my pool?
No such thing as an "efficient" pool heater! You'll just need to experiment with runtimes to see how fast/slow it heats the pool, and your tolerance for electric bills! Getting a solar cover will be a big help to minimize heat loss overnight.

PB4 Booster Pump - Copper conductors - this is strictly for the pool cleaner, right?
More than likely this is just for the Polaris cleaner, but you'll want to spend some quality time with your new pool tracing out which lines go to which returns, etc..

Polaris Cleaner, I think it's a 380 - while we were there, it was running in the pool and the tube that extends from it that appears to blow water/air, occasionally sprayed water out of the pool - is that normal?
There is a backup valve on the hose that kicks on every few minutes to drag the cleaner away, helping to free it from any obstructions. There is also a "tail" that sprays water, to blow small particulars off the floor of the pool. If the cleaner climbs a wall, that tail sometimes comes out of the water for a second and it will spray up. Pretty funny if someone gets sprayed walking by the pool!

I'd like to pick up a Solar Pool Cover to help with the heating - is there a recommended brand?
From my reading, there doesn't seem to be a consensus on a brand, much less the other factors... color and width. These covers usually only last 3 - 5 seasons, so some folks like the thinner covers because they are lighter and easier to handle. Search the forum for solar covers and I'm sure you'll find lots of articles.

Congratulations on your new house and pool!

Pat, welcome to TFP!!

IMHO, you are doing a GREAT job of getting to a 'Trouble Free Pool'!!! :goodjob:

You left out your filter :wink: but from the multiport # I know it's DE and has 2" piping to it :p If you haven't, check out my advice for DE filters here.

It really sounds like you've got a good grip on your pool and what you need to do! :whoot: :party:

I'd like to hank you for being so diligent in your care and for getting the best test kit and supporting this site :handshake: :thumleft:

If I can help further, please feel free to call upon me! :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.