Weir behavior

PaulR

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 11, 2009
Cupertino, CA
For a long time my skimmer weir just sort of lay there, maybe feebly flopping around from time to time. I finally got a round tuit, and took a close look. It seems to be made of rubber, and there was this construct at the top that seemed specifically designed to hold a stick of styrofoam or some other kind of floatation assist, and it was empty. So, I cut a piece of styrofoam to fit, and stuck it in there.

I have the plumbing arrangement where the main drain pipe goes to the skimmer, and there's one pipe from the skimmer to the pump. Orienting the skimmer basket different ways lets me pick skimmer only, maindrain only, or both. If it's on skimmer only, there's enough water flow that the weir is pulled down below the surface, but if it's on "both" then the suction is much less and the weir is a little bit above the water surface. It looks like the water is mostly coming into the skimmer in the little gaps between the sides of the weir and the walls.

Is the water flow supposed to be over the top of the weir, regardless? If so, I guess I should trim off some of the styrofoam so the weaker flow will still pull it below the surface?

Thanks,
--paulr

My take is the purpose of the weir is to increase the velocity of the water coming from the pool into the skimmer. It does so by floating virtually "at" the surface with the pump off and then is pulled slightly below the surface as the pump suctions water into the skimmer.

My assumption is you have two holes in the bottom of the skimmer.....one for the water coming from the main drain and another for the water going to the pump. Is that correct? If so, there is a device you can get pretty cheap that will allow you to adjust how much flow comes from the main drain and/or skimmer.

If that's your setup, you might consider it....I think it's about $20.00.

I cannot remember it's name but if that fits your situation, post back. I'm sure others know what to call it.

The weir was "just laying there" because it had no flotation to it. Water level is fine.

The skimmer basket has flanges on the bottom designed to control the flow between the two pipes. I'll have to take a picture for the visual encyclopedia, I didn't see one in there.

I'll take out some styrofoam so the water flows over the top even in the lower-flow mode.
Thanks,
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.