Muriatic Acid in New Pool

Aug 13, 2009
Central Texas
Our new inground, plaster/pebble pool was crystal clear and perfectly balanced. Then, workers came to repair some gouges and smooth the pebble bottom. They did this while the pool was filled and used several gallons of muriatic acid. This lowered the ph to the bottom of the color scale, so we added borax according to the calculator, and baking soda to raise the TA, which was also low. Everything is fine again, the water is sparkling and feels great. But is it normal to have all these chemicals? Can this stew of acid and borax even be called "water" at this point? This is our first pool. We love it, but it seems very strange to swim in muriatic acid and borax, especially the acid, which is used to etch stone! Should we empty the pool and start again? We would really appreciate some reassurance or advice.

Welcome to TFP!

No ma'am, there's no need to empty the pool and start again. Borax and muriatic acid are the primary chemicals used to help regulate the pH of the water. The borax and muriatic acid don't stay in those forms once in the water. The chemistry can get complex, but suffice it to say that if the water's in balance and the FC is where it needs to be, then your water is perfectly safe.

BTW, be prepared to keep adding acid for a while. New plaster will require pretty regular additions of acid, as the plaster causes the pH and TA to rise until it's cured, which can take up to a year.

As Mike said, you'll be adding a lot of acid the first few months. I was adding over 2 gallons a week the first few weeks and even at the 6 month mark I was still adding a lot of acid to keep the pH in check. After about a year and a half, my acid consumption had finally gone down. I'm now adding acid once a month perhaps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.