Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA Adjustments

1. Back To Top    #1

TA Adjustments

My Alkalinity is between 130 and 140 and my PH is 7.7, I want to lower my alkalinity. I am adding 65 oz of MA to get me down to 7.0 - 7.2. My question is how long do I wait before I turn my waterfall on to airate the pool to bring the PH back up? How long do you recommned airating the pool to bring it up? and how long before I can add another dose of MA to start the process over until I get my Alkalinity around 90.

Thanks
    24ft AG pool, about 13,600 gal I think
    200lb Sand Filter
    2.5 hp 2 speed pump
    recent Baquacil CONVERT and loving it.......

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA Adjustments

Technically, you don't have to wait. You can aerate while you add acid. You don't necessarily have to wait until your ph gets to some specific level before adding acid again.
    Some outgassing of CO2 will happen anyway, but it will be more pronounced at lower PH levels, so let it cycle between 7 and 7.2 or so.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Ohm_Boy
    so let it cycle between 7 and 7.2 or so.

Which is to say, test frequently, repeat as needed.

Now, I'm not really sure why you want to reduce the TA if the pH is mostly stable at 7.7. We find that to be Ok for us, swimming with eyes open. What the TA is is not so critical, as long as you are Ok with your pH levels.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

7.7 seems to be fine for us also, but I just want to keep an eye on it as my TA is at the upper end of where it should be and I will be adding fill water, so my thought was to get it down some so that I had a nice buffer. I guess I will just watch it and make sure it stays stable.
    24ft AG pool, about 13,600 gal I think
    200lb Sand Filter
    2.5 hp 2 speed pump
    recent Baquacil CONVERT and loving it.......